Thanksgiving Day Parade again ????

Thanks Randy - coming from such a good grower like yourself is very encouraging.

Post #8 Photos #5 & 6 was an Unknown from Frank Brown's Garden. It was later determined to be a Charles Rutherford. Here is an updated photo of the same Charles Rutherford from 12/07/2013.

Attachments

• Charles Rutherford 1.JPG
    Charles Rutherford 1.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 148
Post #8 Photo #7 was another Unknown from Frank Brown's Garden. It was later determined to be a Mike Fascell. It looks just like the Mike Fascell I acquired from Marie. This one is exposed to more light so it has much better color. It has really taken off since last year.

Here is an updated photo of the same Mike Fascell taken 12/07/2013.

Attachments

• Mike Fascell 1.JPG
    Mike Fascell 1.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 150
Post #9 Photo #1 is an unknown from Frank Brown's Garden. Some have said that it is a Caribbean Star. I remain unconvinced that it is. Heavy blotches, leaf shape and much slower growth rate than my other two.

Here is an updated photo of the same croton from two days ago.

Attachments

• Unk FB 1.JPG
    Unk FB 1.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 140
Post #9 Photo #2 is Grandma. Ray believes (as do a few others) that this is the true Ann Rutherford. I'm need to try and lure Stan Woods to the Moose Land to check out Grandma. It is my understanding that Stan knows what Ann Rutherford looks like.

Updated photo of Grandma from two days ago.

Attachments

• Grandma 1.JPG
    Grandma 1.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 148
Post #9 Photo #3 is Bravo root bound in a three gallon container. This Bravo was planted about a month after this thread's original photo. It has simply exploded. This is the same Bravo - photo from two days ago.

Attachments

• Bravo 1.JPG
    Bravo 1.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 152
Post #9 Photo #4 is Columbia. It was too heavily shaded by the Jakfruit tree. After pruning the tree it has responded very well.

Here are a couple of photos of the same plant taken two days ago.

Attachments

• Columbia 1.JPG
    Columbia 1.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 148
  • Columbia 2.JPG
    Columbia 2.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 150
Post #9 Photos #5 & 6 is the combo of (left to right) Black Beauty, Monarch & Columbia.

The same combo updated photo from a couple of days ago.

Attachments

• BB, Monarch, Columbia 1.JPG
    BB, Monarch, Columbia 1.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 149
Post #9 Photo #7 is Daybreak. Probably in the top five favorites of mine. When I see one up for auction I want to scream "bid more, your gonna love it"! I refuse to trim or air layer this croton. It seems to branch very well on its own. The bigger it gets, the more I love it. The leaves are very, very long. I want to grow this croton to its full spectacular potential.

Some updated photos of Daybreak from a couple of days ago.

Attachments

• Daybreak 1.JPG
    Daybreak 1.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Daybreak 2.JPG
    Daybreak 2.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 151
Thank you Ana. I find them interesting as well. From the tour at the Glock's, I believe that Bob Alonso & Mark Hooten both concurred that "Potter's" Pink Veitchii was original name. Same amount of letters - the name change could have been attributed to poor penmenship.

Post #10 Photo #1 is the Duke of Winsor. An air layer from this plant attended the auction at the Glock's. Here is an updated photo of the same Duke of Windsor on 12/07/2013.

Attachments

• Duke of Windsor 1.JPG
    Duke of Windsor 1.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 147
Post #10 Photo #3 was Blotched Wooten's Beauty. It was donated to the South Florida Palm Society and auctioned off at their holiday party Dec. 2nd. Here is my "back-up" Blotched Wooten's Beauty which I felt had superior coloring.

Attachments

• Blotched Wooten's Beauty 1.JPG
    Blotched Wooten's Beauty 1.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 145
Post #10 Photo #4 is Captain Gilbert Cutler. The Capt. was heavily shaded and produced little growth over the year. Pruning of overhead branches has got the Capt. woken up. Here are some photos of the same Captain Gilbert Cutler from 12/07/2013.

Attachments

• Capt Gilbert Cutler 1.JPG
    Capt Gilbert Cutler 1.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 143
  • Capt Gilbert Cutler 2.JPG
    Capt Gilbert Cutler 2.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 129
Post #10 Photo #5 is General MacArthur (left) and White Ann Rutherford (right). Here is an updated photo from 12/07/2013 of the same two crotons.

Attachments

• Gen MacArthur White Ann Rutherford 1.JPG
    Gen MacArthur White Ann Rutherford 1.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 153
Post #10 Photo #6 is Tickled Pink. This croton was discovered by Mike Woolery. He does not recall where he got his original cutting. After several years in the ground, this cultivar has really starting to exhibit fabulous growth. Three air layers have been removed since the original photo from this thread was taken. Here are updated photos of the same Tickled Pink from 12/07/2013.

Attachments

• Tickled Pink 1.JPG
    Tickled Pink 1.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Tickled Pink 2.JPG
    Tickled Pink 2.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 146
Post #10 Photo #7 is another discovery of Mike Woolery's. Again, he does not recall where he acquired this croton from. Wish he had kept better notes. Still I'd rather have the plant then his notes. At first it was being called a White Bravo. There were a few croton eyes that refuted that ID. I must concede that it is unlikely a White Bravo. A very slow growth habit and a regular Bravo is a robust grower. Magnificent is reportedly a sport of Bravo and it also a good grower. Over time I started speculating it had some of Bimbo's characteristics. It definitely grows Bimbo slow. Could it be a White Bimbo? There is no evidence that this was a sport from Bimbo, so it is very doubtful. It remains a yet to be ID'd or a named cultivar.

Here are some updated photos of the same plant from 12/07/2013. One air layer was made to induce this plant to branch since the original photo in this thread was posted. This cultivar does not seem conducive to branching on its own accord.

Attachments

• White Bimbo 1.JPG
    White Bimbo 1.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 144
  • White Bimbo 2.JPG
    White Bimbo 2.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 137
Post #11 Photo #1 is Norman Rockwell. Originally acquired from Judy Glock as a Rembrandt ?. Notice the ? mark. The Ruebens, Rembrandt, Norman Rockwell confusion was already happening. There is already a Norman Rockwell in the Moose Land but is more shaded therefore does not exhibit this croton's nice coloring. Here is an updated photo from yesterday of the same Norman Rockwell, still in its 3 gallon container. An air layer was removed from this plant since the original post and traded.

I fell like a Major League Baseball owner - trading away prospects, LOL :D

Attachments

• Norman Rockwell 1.JPG
    Norman Rockwell 1.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 149
Post #11 Photo #2 is Stoplight. One of my first croton plantings. Not knowing any better then, it was placed in a shaded area. Now the canopy around it has increased so its even more shaded. With the sun shifting towards the south, its getting more sun exposure and will do some coloring up. It should be moved but its roots are tangled with many palm roots in the area. Too much time and energy to move it when there are already other projects that are a higher priority. So it remains.

Updated photo of same Stoplight from yesterday before sunrise.

Attachments

• Stoplight 1.JPG
    Stoplight 1.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Stoplight 2.JPG
    Stoplight 2.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 134
Ron, Stoplight can be a very beautiful Croton. I have two plants planted in half day full sun and still do not get the colors that the plants had when I purchased them. I have given up on them and will likely remove them from my garden.

Ron, Stoplight can be a very beautiful Croton. I have two plants planted in half day full sun and still do not get the colors that the plants had when I purchased them. I have given up on them and will likely remove them from my garden.

Agreed Scott - Stoplight is one of the few "full sun" cultivars that colors don't wash out.

Post #11 photo #3 was Pam Kiefert when she was a toddler. Still in the experimental stage not knowing how much sun she required, she was kept shaded to be on the safe side. It can now be safe to say that Pam Kiefert can tolerate a fair amount of sun exposure and maintain her colors. Heck she looks better with more sun and grows faster. This is my one and only PK.

1st photo is an update from yesterday before sunrise of the same PK.

2nd photo is an update from a few minutes ago. Getting kissed by the morning sun.

Attachments

• Pam Kiefert 1.JPG
    Pam Kiefert 1.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Pam Kiefert 2.jpg
    Pam Kiefert 2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 134
Post #11 Photo #4 is Thomas Edison. Updated photos of same Thomas Edison taken 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Thomas Edison 1.JPG
    Thomas Edison 1.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Thomas Edison 2.JPG
    Thomas Edison 2.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 146
Post #11 Photo #6 is Nellie Halgrim, which Bob Halgrim named after his mother. Here is the same Nellie Halgrim, photo taken 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Nellie Halgrim 1.JPG
    Nellie Halgrim 1.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 134
Post #11 Photo #7 is Stain Glass. This croton just would not branch. Took a big air layer off the top and brought it out Fort Myers for the Glock Garden Tour. It got stashed in Judy's shade house since it was promised to Toby. Good news! The removal of the air layer induced it to produce three new shoots. Here is an updated photo of the same Stain Glass from 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Stain Glass 1.JPG
    Stain Glass 1.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 134
Post #12 photo #4 is Chili Pan. A bit finicky and not a fast grower. Here is an updated photo dated 12/14/2013 of the same Chili Pan. A small air layer was removed this past year. Was going to bring that air layered plant to the Glock Garden Tour but is dropped most of its leaves for no apparent reason - finicky.

Attachments

• Chili Pan 1.JPG
    Chili Pan 1.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 132
Post #12 photo #5 is Columbiana. This plant stays shaded for most of the growing season. Produces mostly large green leaves with small areas of color. Only at this time of year does the sun expose this plant with adequate light for good coloration. Its latest flush (before update photo) looks like it will be very colorful. Updated photo 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Columbiana 1.JPG
    Columbiana 1.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 131
Post #12 photo #6 is Colonel Bob Bullock. This croton has the same scenario as the Columbiana - too much shade during the growing season. Unlike the Columbiana, it usually only flushes once during that time. As the sun begins to hit it over the winter months - it starts to get going. I gave Marie Nock an air layer (to induce branching) from this plant and was shocked when she showed me it. It was so big and gorgeous, larger than my mother plant! Another air layer was made this past year so I can get one in an area that has sun during the growing season. This one will remain as it does give fabulous pink colors from all the shading. A prime example how lighting can alter a croton's appearance. Here is the same Colonel Bob Bullock on 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Col Bob Bullock 1.JPG
    Col Bob Bullock 1.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 139
Post #12 Photo #7 is Madam Butterfly, a gift from Judy Glock. I was kinda surprised to see that it has been in the ground this long after reviewing this thread. Been slow but steady for me, always exhibiting nice colors. Got it situated adjacent to a stepping stone path. Its slow growth means it won't be encroaching on the path anytime soon. Here is an updated photo of the same Madam Butterfly from 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Madam Butterfly 1.JPG
    Madam Butterfly 1.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 131
Post #15 Photo #1 is Mrs. Iceton. One of my first croton plantings. Got it at a nursery as Icetone. which commercially it is erroneously referred to. Thanks to this forum. the recognized historical name was given to me. This croton exhibits wonderful pastel pinks year around. Here is the same Mrs. Iceton, photo taken 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Mrs. Iceton 1.JPG
    Mrs. Iceton 1.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 133
Post #15 Photo #2 is Heaven. Originally acquired as Scarecrow. If you like orange - this croton will give it to you. Likes bright shade - will even tolerate a couple of hours of afternoon sun. Updated photo of the same croton 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Heaven 1.JPG
    Heaven 1.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 138
Post #15 Photos #3 & 4 is Dr. Alix. This croton was acquired from Dr. B. Frank Brown's garden. There was a group that visited Dr. Brown after the 2010 winter. His collection was in rather poor shape from the devastating cold. Sadly is was mostly dead sticks. Dr. Brown encouraged us to take what green stems we could find to pass on any of his material that could be saved. There were very few leaves on most of the plants. None were recognizable. The cuttings were put into Jeff Searle's mist house. Jeff distributed the cuttings that made it equally to all that visited Dr. Brown the following year.

This Dr. Alix is exposed to some heavy sun. It does not seem to mind it at all. Since the original photo in this thread was taken, an air layer and a cutting have been removed. Interestingly, where the air layer and cutting were removed, only one new shoot emerged on each. However, Dr. Alix has done some branching on its own. Updated photos are from 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Dr Alix 1.JPG
    Dr Alix 1.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Dr Alix 2.JPG
    Dr Alix 2.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 158
Post #15 photo #6 is Majesticum. This plant was acquired from the Frank Brown garden cuttings. It was originally assigned a Unknown Frank Brown #10 designation until it matured enough so a definitive name could be concluded. It was experiencing an accelerated growth that was starting to dominate its neighboring crotons. It was relocated to an even sunnier area and did not appreciate its roots getting messed around with. Here is an updated photo of the same plant on 12/14/2013. Having an already pre-dug hole vacated by the Majesticum, Thomas Hitchcock happily took its place.

Attachments

• Majesticum 1.JPG
    Majesticum 1.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 121
Post #15 photo #7 is a sport I found growing on an Eleanor Roosevelt on the property of a foreclosed home. It was close to the street and it caught my eye while walking my dog Stretch. The sport had two small branches - so two small air layers were made. One of the air layered plants was given to Mike Woolery so it could get established in another garden. The leaf shape is also different than Eleanor Roosevelt as 90% of its leaves make a "hooking" action at its apex. For now I have it labeled as James Kiefert, after my son. It looks as if there is some potential for this to be a nice green and yellow cultivar. It's neighbor was the previous post's Majesticum and was beginning to dominate this plant. Updated photo from 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• James Kiefert 1.JPG
    James Kiefert 1.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 149
Post #17 photo #1 is Aubrey Christian. On the Florida West Coast, some are saying that this is Captain Kidd. On this coast, I've seen this in a few collections as the Aubrey Christian. What does the West Coasters have going as Aubrey Christian? This is another ID dilemma that needs to get sorted out. I have kept mine tagged as what it was tagged as when I got it for now. This is a very slow cultivar for me. Perhaps in too shaded of an area. Here is an updated photo from 12/14/2013.

Attachments

• Aubrey Christian 1.JPG
    Aubrey Christian 1.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 124