Tali/October Surprise. Same Plant?

kwtimo

22/05/10
I'm trying to get some clarity on whether or not Tali and October Surprise are the same plant. I've heard some conflicting information, and since I don't have one of each plant, I'm hoping that others can help to clear this up. I got a October Surprise from the auction at Phil's last year. I remember seeing his pretty sizable plant in his garden too. Phil, can you tell me what the original source of your plant was? Was the plant I got at the auction last year from you, or was it from either H. Lee or Ron Parlett? Can anyone who has either or both of these plants please post pics so that we can maybe clear this up? I know that Jeff Searle has Tali that he got from Stan Wood. These are pictures of Phil's October Surprise in his garden, and of the plant that I got at the auction.
20151031_105134.jpg
20151031_105142.jpg
20151031_180136.jpg
20151031_180146.jpg

Attachments

• 20151031_105134.jpg
    20151031_105134.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 112
Phil, thank you very much for your input. Is there anyway to find out where his plant is sourced from? Not trying to be pushy, just very curious.

I think these plants are identical.If they are different, it is in the most insignificant way.I.E.( Ishi and Princess Eugenia :) (Babette and R.L. Farquar)

Good point Mike. Tim and I just talked about the same two groups that you just mentioned. The key is to back track the history on this plant. Half of the equation we know ( Tali is a Stan Wood seedling ) but more information on October Surprise needs to surface.

Talked to Lee from wh0om I got my plant and who pr9ovided the auction plant. He got the plant, without a name, from Johnny Shelton. Lee's plant colored up well for him in October, so he named it October Surprise. Methinks they are all the same plant but evidence slightly different coloring and growth habit due to cultural conditions especially light and the very nature of a genetically unstable plant. onward through the fog....

Talked to Lee from wh0om I got my plant and who pr9ovided the auction plant. He got the plant, without a name, from Johnny Shelton. Lee's plant colored up well for him in October, so he named it October Surprise. Methinks they are all the same plant but evidence slightly different coloring and growth habit due to cultural conditions especially light and the very nature of a genetically unstable plant. onward through the fog....

Well that makes perfect sense since Stan and Johnny are friends and in fact the last time I was over at Johnny's house , Stan was there also.