Surrounded by Crotons

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
An example of how palms and crotons coexist so well. This is an unusual form of the common palmetto palm, Sabal palmetto var. 'Lisa'.

lisa 1.JPG

Ron, I've always really liked this Sabal cultivar. It works particularly well in smaller gardens that have lots of sun and are screaming for something pinnate in them. I've found they are not grown much these days. I wonder if Searle has any of these stashed away somewhere?o_O

We got about 8 of these several years ago for Kopsick Palm Arboretum from a grower in Imokalee. They've done quite well but are real K lovers. Check your Betrock's Plant Finder.

Ron, I've always really liked this Sabal cultivar. It works particularly well in smaller gardens that have lots of sun and are screaming for something pinnate in them. I've found they are not grown much these days. I wonder if Searle has any of these stashed away somewhere?o_O

The problem with this cultivar is it does not come up true to seed. I've heard of % rates all over the place. The percentage is not the problem its the time involved. You basically have to grow them to an overgrown three gallon palm until you can determine if they are a true Lisa or just a common Sabal palmetto. I bought 12 (palms) and ended up with 5 being a Lisa. Randy did the same as I, he may be down to a couple now, destined for his new garden. Basically gave the others away over time. I regret that now but they would probably be in 15 gallon containers and something else to weed, fertilize and water.