Super Petra before the Jan 2010 freeze

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
About 4 years ago, I found 4 Super Petra at the Tyrone Blvd Home Depot in St. Pete mixed in with common Petra. Stupid me bought only one. The one in the photo was in too much shade but when first purchased had a bright rose color that stood out among the Petra. This croton is ultra rare as far as I'm concerned. That was the first and last time I'd seen that croton for sale. Like many of my plants, it too died in the January 2010 freeze. The leaves are round almost Puccini-like. Here's looking at you kid....

Attachments

• Super Petra mysery.jpg
    Super Petra mysery.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 97
About 4 years ago, I found 4 Super Petra at the Tyrone Blvd Home Depot in St. Pete mixed in with common Petra. Stupid me bought only one. The one in the photo was in too much shade but when first purchased had a bright rose color that stood out among the Petra. This croton is ultra rare as far as I'm concerned. That was the first and last time I'd seen that croton for sale. Like many of my plants, it too died in the January 2010 freeze. The leaves are round almost Puccini-like. Here's looking at you kid....

Ray,
Sorry to hear about your loss. I remember you telling me when you first lost it. And like you said, it is extreamly rare to come across a plant. Maybe, just maybe, one of these will show up for the auction at the upcoming meeting on the 19th. Instead of bringing singles and fives, it might be best to bring a few tens and twenties. I'm hearing there might be a few ultra rare plants show up.
Jeff

Here is a picture of Jeff's Super Petra found in another thread. I think I saw this plant at his place this Summer. Should be able to see it this weekend if Rob's hooves haven't stomped it ... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Super Petra.jpg
    Super Petra.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 144
I hope you can spare another of your many Monarch's :),I missed the last one that was at the sale

Wow, that's great that somebody's bringing one. And wouldn't this plant qualify as..."Rare as Hen's teeth"?

Friday morning I'm going to take a walk and see what plants I'm bringing. Along with all the tables,chairs,tent,etc,etc.

Jeff brought one to the Ramble. I think it lasted about 10 minutes before someone found it. The large General Marshall was gone two minutes later. Another lady seeing the General Marshall get sold asked for another, problem was - it was the only one there. :(

I hope you can spare another of your many Monarch's :),I missed the last one that was at the sale

Why is this "super"? For that matter, why is any Croton "super" anything? I remember seeing "Super Dreadlocks" that Kurt Decker grew. They were simply three 3-gallon Dreadlocks that he bought at Home Depot and grew in the shade. They had great red and orange color and of course, a $150 price! Why isn't this Croton - Super Petra - simply called by another made up name? Lord Mucky Muck or something like that?

Ricky,

I have no idea who named it Super Petra and why he/she used the word "Super". It's just a word, so don't look into it too seriously. All I know is, that there are very,very few of these around anymore, when at one time it was a tad more common(?). It is a very pretty croton and on the slow side. Just like many others we know all too well.

I came across this variety named as “Rina” in old Holland and Australian catalogues.

Attachments

• SuperPetra2.jpg
    SuperPetra2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 105
  • SuperPetra1.jpg
    SuperPetra1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 111
  • SuperPetra3.jpg
    SuperPetra3.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 99