Sugar Cane

Discussion in 'EDIBLES AND SUSTAINIBILITY' started by ScotTi, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I got myself nice cane of Black Sugar Cane and would like to grow it along. I was told to cut the cane into logs with 2 bud eyes per log and bury underground 2". I was told the cane will not survive if I planted the cane end (has some roots) in the ground. Anyone else growing Sugar Cane?

Attached Files:

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Scott not sure about the answer to your propogation question. However, I would recommend that once you get it established, plant it next to the fence line of the neighbor you like the least. :rolleyes: I believe they are water pigs - near the lake it will go monster ...

3. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Moose, Thanks! I found some good info for starting the cane on the net. Wish me luck!

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I cut the cane into logs with 2-3 buds per log, planting 2" under soil. Easy!

Attached Files:

5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Scott - did you see that sugar cane of Bill Austin's on PalmTalk? Next time I'm over there perhaps I can get some logs.

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, Yes! :cool: And I hope to have one like it growing here next year.

7. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

Scott check out sugar cane handbook from IFAS it has a good section for back yard growing and explains the different variety's Kip

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Hmmm - I didn't see any sugar cane in your cart yesterday Kip, only palms :rolleyes: