Stupid question

Pix

08/04/14
How come all the Founding Fathers are from Tampa and everything is now in South Florida??
Well, I am not sure that I am right... I think that I read somewhere...that they are from Tampa...

Pix - no stupid questions on this forum.

It is more of a West Coast - East Coast thing.

The "Founding Fathers" were from the Tampa area but it was not a geographical thing. They were the ones to put the energies into creating the Society. Through their get togethers and being a presence at the USF Sales, they sparked interest and members.

As the East-siders started joining, garden tours started happening on both coasts.

It may appear that there are more East Coasters involved on this forum. The truth is that there are many, many lurkers from both coasts but never post. Some of the "Founding Fathers" visit this forum all the time but never comment.

Those who post are just a small portion who visit this forum. Earlier today there were 44 "visitors" looking. I guess most people just want to look at pictures, glean information but not contribute.

Just my opinion.

Oh, welcome to the forum. Glad to have another lady here. Keep coming back. Joyful

If you mean the collectors from years ago, way back, many or most were from the Miami area probably. Ralph Davis, Richard Krukonis, Aubrey Christian, Henry Coppinger, Rudy Bachman, Charles Rutherford, and Al Cutler. These gentlemen were are from the Miami area. Then B. Frank is up in Melboune. And not to forget, John Bender from Plantation.
From the west coast, you had Robert Halgrim, from Ft Myers. These were the Big Dogs of yesteryears.....

Lets not forget the Reasoner Brothers of the Royal Palm Nursery in Oneco, FL (near Bradenton) contributions. Not hybridizers, but the first to bring crotons to Florida. They began offering them for sale in the Winter 1886-87. It was the West Coast group that were searching to find these original old varieties to save then for posterity. Some we are still growing today, unfortunately mostly found in collector's gardens.

The Miami hybridizer's didn't get going until Aubrey Christian started introducing his original cultivars until the 1920's.

Pix - are you enjoying your Florida Croton History lesson? Writing BookWorm Angelic

Thank you, Moose. I love the history :)
The reason I asked is that all the fun is around Miami now. It would be nice to move meetings and sales to Tampa :D
I found the info that got me confused:
The Croton Society
President - Harold Lee, Tampa, Florida
Vice President - Ray Hernandez, Tampa, Florida
Secretary/Treasurer - Connie Hoerstgen Tampa, Florida
Everybody is from Tampa and the last event dated 2009.

Pix, Harold Lee is the founding father of The Croton Society, and with other locals from here in Tampa got the ball rolling.

Thank you so much , Scott :)
I am wondering who can I get to make a presentation for our garden club? There are over 2500 homeowners here. The bromeliad guy loved us so much that he’s been here twice already. Is there someone around Tampa area who is willing to talk (and sell!!!) crotons??

Thank you so much , Scott :)
I am wondering who can I get to make a presentation for our garden club? There are over 2500 homeowners here. The bromeliad guy loved us so much that he’s been here twice already. Is there someone around Tampa area who is willing to talk (and sell!!!) crotons??

Pix - Phil Stager in St. Pete. Keith is West Coast too, but he is on the shy side, may not want to do a presentation. Perry Edge? Together they would be awesome trio.

There is also Ray Hernandez (Tampa), but with a newborn baby girl, I am sure he won't be available for awhile.

I'm not volunteering anyone, these are just some out that way which popped in my head.

Thank you, Moose :). I hope they will show up and volunteer. They can sell some stock here too... I wish I could get Jeff Searle interested (I offered)but it doesn't look like...

What garden club? and when do they meet?
Tomorrow night, 4/22, I'll be giving my usual croton presentation for the local Rare Plant Society. I've also given it to most of the circles of the St. Pete Garden Club and an annual presentation at Sunken Gardens.

Well, Ok. I might come to meet you. Not sure though. I do not like to go anywhere at night. I do not like to go anywhere at all :rolleyes:
Thank you for showing interest in our garden club. We are in North Pinellas County. Our garden club is 2 years old. We meet every third Thursday at 3 to 5 PM in our main clubhouse. The presentations are scheduled in advance and advertized by email, on our community website and in our newspaper (our association has its own newspaper). If you are interested, I can connect you with the president of our club.

So… I managed to attend Phil’s presentation. It was great and he is a fun guy. I am looking forward to see him talking in our community. From the handout materials I found that the Croton Society (that I thought I have joined) does not exist anymore.
As for Rare Plants Network, they are such a nice people!!! (Isn’t it usual for the churches?)
Their raffle was awful though. I wasn’t able to follow up my winning tickets and felt that some guys just came to still Phil’s crotons! :(
… He was so nice to give me a Multicolor and he didn’t take money :(
I know the laws but people usually want to buy something at successful presentations…:rolleyes:
... Also I think that I won the Franklin Roosevelt but there was no tag on it, so I am not sure...:confused:

..and… another stupid question. Where did the Croton Society go?? It was founded just in 2009 for God sake! Did these people die or completely lost their interest??

Pix - There are those who put forth much effort, go unappreciated and then get burn't out. The Society is "sleeping" and may be reawakened in the future. For now, this forum is what many expatriates of the Society use to keep in touch and disburse info for those who are interested. :)