STILL CONFUSED... SATAN VS IRENE KINGSLEY AND OTHER ID's REQUESTED

donroberth

19/07/09
STILL CONFUSED… SATAN VS IRENE KINGSLEY: FOTO #1 ) What I generally do when I can’t tell the difference between two Crotons is to plant them together and allow them adapt themselves to my existing garden conditions such as soil, light, shade, watering, fertilizer, altitude, etc…this is what has done in this pic…now I wait to see what happens because they look different to me.
FOTO #2 ) I’ve been calling this cultivar SATAN mainly because of its physical characteristics which made sense to me..flat black, red veined trident and sharply defined leaf shoulders.
FOTO #3) My IRENE KINGSLEY : To me this has always been IK as identified in the following foto #4.
FOTO #4 ) IRENE KINSLEY as identified by Jeff Searle in the article appearing in GARDENING WITH GEORGIA entitled A CROTON PRIMER, dated Tue, Jan 26, 2010. Along comes Ray (Crazy for Crotons) commenting on Moose Knuckle’s recent thread entitled “Croton Adventure” and later Jeff Searle identifying the “Trident” as Irene Kingsley… I’m still confused !!! Please don’t take these comments as negative…”I just want the truth and nothing but the truth”. Note to Moose Knuckle: Thanks for “A Croton Adventure”, I enjoyed the story line and beautiful photographs.

Attachments

• 1).jpg
    1).jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 2).JPG
    2).JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 3).JPG
    3).JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 4).JPG
    4).JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 82
Here are a couple of Pink Crotons for everyone’s enjoyment. FOTOS #1 and #2) I call this one my Hot Pink Lady…I.D. please. FOTOS #3 and #4) I call this one Pink Spots. I submitted this cultivar for identification about 2 years ago...no luck. Perhaps someone can come up with an I.D. this time?

Attachments

• 5).JPG
    5).JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 6).JPG
    6).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 7).JPG
    7).JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 8).JPG
    8).JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 92
FOTOS #1 and #2 ) This one caught my eye when I first saw it displayed in the nursery. From far away I thought it was a funny looking Batik “Bush on Fire”. Its leaves are about 3 to 4 inches long with a red/orange rib in the center and its colors are similar to Bush on Fire but no spots… I.D. Please? FOTOS #3 and #4) Batik, “Bush on Fire” has been included for comparison purposes. All of the aforementioned cultivars now “strut their stuff” in my Croton Gardens…color me proud.

Attachments

• 9).JPG
    9).JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 10).JPG
    10).JPG
    117 KB · Views: 94
  • 11).JPG
    11).JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 12).JPG
    12).JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 87
I have 9 or 10 of the Croton you show in your first post in the ground. All of them more than ten years old. All have been identified as either Satan or Irene Kingsley at various times - same plant, different ID depending on the "expert". I am fully convinced that the two Crotons are the same - just different names. My original Satan came from Jesse Durko - same plant as the photo in the Book,.

Thank you for the comentary re: Satin vs Irene Kingsley. Could someone please "take a crack"
at the other 3 cultivares I submitted for ID...many thx in advance.

Post # 1 - last two photos could also be Majesticum depending how long and wide the leaves are - the coloring looks right. I am having trouble descerning any interupted leaves in Bob's photos on that one.

Post #3 first two photos looks very simular to what I have as Red Banana. Jeff Searle saw my plant awhile back and felt the ID was a bit questionable. Thought the leaves on mine were way too narrow to be a Red Banana. From Bob's description, it sounds like our plants may be the same cultivar.

But then again ... :confused:

I won't even touch Satan / Irene Kingsley. My eye does not detect much distinct different characteritics.

As Phil says: "Onward through the fog ..." :eek: