Spring 2015 Garden Tour in Miami

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Feb 15, 2015.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Jerry Shilling

Jerry Shilling Well-Known Member

image.jpg If you like red ... By auction day the red will be dazzling. image.jpg

2. Jerry Shilling

image.jpg Sorry about the double pics...have no idea what's going on. Only letting me post one pic then I have to go to another thread and come back before it will allow me to post another. I'm such a techie!

3. Jerry Shilling

image.jpg This photo was from three weeks ago...forgot to shoot it this trip. Very interesting leaf shape and black/orange coloring.

Karenska likes this.
  4. Jerry Shilling

image.jpg Last un-named two year old. I have become very attached to these slow growing but attractive crotons. I was going to put a collection of these in a special bed. Maybe down the road

5. Jerry Shilling

image.jpg Introducing this two year old hybrid " Pixie Dust ", this plant has looked good right from the start and has been very consistent in regard to leaf shape and coloring. I see a lot of Rudy Bachman in this one. This is my only plant and realize it's unusual to name a new hybrid and then let it go, but it's for the best and if it works out it'll be fun tracking one down. This isn't a good photo...maybe Ron can post a better one.

6. Jerry Shilling

image.jpg Here is a slow one that you will like...this guy will turn 5 yrs. old in December. image.jpg

7. Jerry Shilling

image.jpg Hybrid " Pixie Little ", letting my only plant go but in this case Judy Glock has successfully rooted a cutting. Neat plant!

8. Jerry Shilling

image.jpg Hybrid " Daisy's Dance ".

9. Jerry Shilling

image.jpg Hybrid " Brenda Kay ".

I might add that Brenda was discharged from the hospital today. Her counts are building and according to doctors, her white blood cells indicate that the transplant successfully grafted. We will be going to the hospital daily for tests. It's been rough going for her, still very weak but she is improving.

Kingdavid likes this.
  10. Jerry Shilling

image.jpg And lastly the croton " Jeff Searle ".

Jeff you haven't commented on this, if you would rather name it something else or if someone recognizes it, it's perfectly fine with me. Just to update everyone - I purchased this croton at one of Jeff's sales, it was labeled " Elaine " which wasn't correct. My only thing is it needed a name so we can get it in the encyclopedia. This croton looks terrific all year long.

11. Jerry Shilling

Thanks Ron for the invitation to auction some of my hybrids at your garden tour.

As I have mentioned often, all proceeds from my croton sales go to the "Little Daisy Memorial Scholarship Fund". image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Haven't had an opportunity to update but this still works. Have loads of fun you all!

12. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Wonderful news on Brenda. Each day should be easier on her. We wish you both well.

Amazing hybrids! You have the magic touch.

13. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Great hearing such good news, best wishes and big hugs Nell and me. 1st year seedling Brenda S. If that's ok with you guys. image.jpg

14. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Yay! So happy to hear about Brenda! Glad she's out of the hospital. It's the worst place to pick up germs. Please send her our very best wishes and please keep us posted. Hoping she gets strong fast.

15. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Brenda's improving!

-Randy

BTW, Your creations are awesome.

16. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Jerry....I apologize for not commenting earlier. I'm honored that you named a plant after me. I'm still trying to figure out where the plant came from. I just looked yesterday at my Elaine in the yard and it's definitely not the plant you have pictured above. And I'm 99% confident on what I have, is the real Elaine. Maybe we can have enough knowledgeable people at the upcoming garden tour that can share their input. Sorry you won't be there. Now I must get one!!!

Kingdavid likes this.
  17. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Get them auction plants nice and spruced up for the big show.

I'm off to get a load of mulch this morning.

18. Jeff Searle

and mow your grass....

oh, I love blueberries with my mix fruit in the morning. Can you pick some up at farmer's market the morning of?

19. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I know some of you think I was nuts to start the tour early and the auction at 10:30 am. The high for this Saturday is forecast around 90 F. Our activities we be in the high 70's, nice and comfy. :cool:

20. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I've got it from a reliable source that all the crotons Jerry posted in this thread will be arriving Saturday morning for the auction - this may get crazy :confused:

21. VeroKarl

VeroKarl Well-Known Member

I am so happy that my schedule is allowing me to come to the auction. I hope I am lucky enough to go home with something special with my limited budget. No doubt there will be plenty of crotons that will be new to me and very exciting to have the opportunity to even bid on. Should be great fun.

22. palmisland

There will always something you don't have that you can pick up for just a few dollars

23. VeroKarl

Thanks for the info. Since this is my first time to go to one of the auctions, I had visualized everything going for hundreds of dollars because much of it is rare and unusual. It won't take much for me to find something new and I will be happy to go home with anything different. I look forward to just getting together with the other croton collectors and experiencing an auction for the first time in many years. My last auction was probably 20 years ago when I was in my twenties and I was bidding on unusual tropical fish in a mall in Massachusetts. Got some very cool fish to add to my many aquariums at the time, but luckily the crotons should survive more than a year or two (weather permitting) and I have a slightly bigger budget. :cool:

24. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Sorry Jeff - no blueberries. Your just gonna have to gnaw on the Pecan Toffee Bars that Pam baked tonight.

25. Judy Glock

Judy Glock Active Member

Jim and I will try to be there early!!! I LOVE Pam's Pecan Toffee Bars!!!

26. Jeff Searle

I can't think of anything better. She knows how much I love them! Rumor has it.....Mr Rob V. might just make an appearance.

27. waykoolplantz

waykoolplantz Active Member

Ron..can you post or PM your address again....don't want Greg n DeDe to get lost

28. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

. pizap.com14294530254451.jpg

Moose likes this.
  29. Karenska

Karenska Active Member

Hi Ron!

I am running in the AM (training for the NYC Marathon!) so I won't be arriving until about 9:30am. I look forward to meeting all of the croton lovers tomorrow and attending my first auction.

Your Neighbor Karen

30. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Weather looks very promising for tomorrow. No prediction of precipitation, some clouds with a high of 85 F. Good thing too - everything is soggy with the humidity at 85%. A refreshing light breeze of 6 - 11 mph.

Look forward to seeing everyone!
    colored moose.jpg CrotonRawBugFinal.jpg

31. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Thank you all for making this such a fun happening. The array of plants in the auction was truly amazing.

Thank you also to those folks who brought plantoid gifts for new additions to the Moose Land. :gangnamstyle:

Kingdavid likes this.
  32. VeroKarl

It was great to come home with a nice assortment of crotons. It would be well worth the trip even if I did not have a conference down in Coral Gables. I will be looking forward to the next auction, but first I have to go yank out some other plants to make room for more crotons.

Kingdavid likes this.
  33. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Moose - many thanks for hosting today's faaaaabulous event!

34. Kingdavid

Kingdavid Esteemed Member

Moose It was a great day . Your plants were fabulous. The auction was great .......Thanks for everything .

35. Emmylou

Emmylou Active Member

Ron thank you so much for the very nice event. Loved seeing everyone, enjoyed the auction as well as seeing part of your beautiful collection. (never made it through) Pam thanks for your delicious pecan toffee bars. Yummmmm Emmylou

36. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Ron,
    Thank you and Pam and Manny for hosting such a fun day. Great people, plants, food and weather. What more could one want?
    Marie

37. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Ron, thank-you so much for having us. I had such a great time touring your garden and seeing your amazing crotons and palms! It was wonderful seeing everyone and the auction was great fun. I came home with some beautiful plants and one very lovely rock! Jeff and Tim, thanks so much for running the auction. As always, you did a great job.

38. Jeff Searle

Ron and Pam,
    Thank you both for the great experience we enjoyed! The yard looked great, the food was some of the best I've seen, weather was good, and the friendships were amazing. Croton collecting and the creation of new croton gardens is alive and growing!

39. palmisland

I'm an idiot!!!!! I somehow thought it was on Sunday (today). I even had it on my calendar. My plants were all tagged & in my car packed, ready to go this morning. I was headed south on the turnpike when I stopped to check the address...........idiot!!!. I've been a little preoccupied lately. So sorry I missed everyone & Pam & Ron's garden. I'm sure everyone had a blast.

40. JoseLopez

JoseLopez Well-Known Member

Thank you Ron for hosting the auction....thank you for your hospitality! I was great to see everyone and as always wonderful crotons!