Spiral White Fly

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
My neighbor planted a Ficus benjamina hedge :mad: along our common property line. It now has a major white fly infestation. Question: Has anyone on this forum know if the white fly will move on to my crotons? Should I be concerned? :confused:

Ron - hard to tell based upon my limited experience with this (*&^%$#@!~ pest. Although not common here in Pinbellas Cty (yet), I did note one 'egg spiral' on one croton leaf in the yard. I'll send you the paper on spiral whitefly and you can take it from there; let us know how it develops

Whitefly are everywhere Ron,when I brush my leaves to check for scale I see them flying around all over.For my limited experience they appear to have no effect on my plants to date.to be honest with all the merit i have been putting on the plants I am sure the whitefly cannot do too much damage.

My neighbor planted a Ficus benjamina hedge :mad: along our common property line. It now has a major white fly infestation. Question: Has anyone on this forum know if the white fly will move on to my crotons? Should I be concerned? :confused:

Anyone remotely interested in this ^%$#@! pest should check out lots of good info on the munroe.ifas.ufl.edu website. FWIW, the Codieaum variegatum is NOT listed as a host plant.

An earlier paper emphasized the importance of switching or rotating insecticides so a highly immune population does not develop

White fly hammered Pine Island this year. Mostly on coconuts, gumbo limbo, and spilling over to avocados and other palms. Crotons have only minor egg spirals here and there.

Key West had nearly epidemic proportions of white fly infestations two years ago. It was absolutely frustrating and depressing. No one seemed to be able to treat their properties effectively once the infestation had occurred, and Imidicalprid was being sold at alarming rates. With Gumbo Limbo and Coconuts as their primary hosts, it was extremely difficult to treat foliage that was 20, 30, 40, 50 ft and up. As anyone knows, contact with insecticides was mandatory to have any effect. Any missed areas of foliage would just promote much more reproduction of the white fly. At any rate, my opinion was that time would be the ultimate factor, and as hoped for, that has been the case. Repeated treatment, even spraying with a garden hose, predatory insects, and environmental factors created the slow but steady decline of the population. Occasionally, I will see a small outbreak, but if treated early on, before infestation occurs, results are favorable. If allowed to to get to infestations, they are less selective about hosts, and I have been very surprised to see some of the plants they took too, but crotons seemed more effected by the excretion from canopy hosts, creating the sooty mold looking stuff, which can easily be treated with peroxide and soap. Just stay on top of it and you should not have problems. Remember that healthy plants are more resistant to pests and disease, so don't hold back on the fertilizer either. Good luck!