Some unknowns in my garden

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by annafl, Aug 27, 2017.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Here's hoping someone will recognize any of these plants. Any ideas are welcome! This first one is one I got from Keith maybe five years ago? It is one of my favorite crotons in the garden. It's leaf shape is a lot like the one we used to think was Robert Krukonis, but it's very pink! Sometimes it's very light pink, sometimes medium pink like this. My photos today have strange lighting. After all the rain today there was a lot of glare on the plants and they were wet also, so a lot of light reflecting back to the camera. The only editing I did was to try to remove some of the glare from the photos. Sorry about that. See if you have any ideas on this one:

RK-Ana.JPG

2. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I think quite a few of you may have this one. This is Ron Kiefert's 'Grandma'. It is a really beautiful, colorful croton that must have had a name at some point.

Grandma.JPG

VeroKarl, donroberth and Gauteng like this.
  3. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

This is one that was gifted to me at my garden tour by Judy Glock. She said she rescued it from an area of Fairchild Tropical Garden that was getting demolished. The only name she gave was FTG- Demo. It is a good grower, is full to the bottom and is really eye-catching!

FTG- Demo.JPG

4. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Marie Nock gifted me this beautiful, colorful narrow-leaf that has some interrupted leaves. This lovely thing must have a name also.

DSC_1984.jpg DSC_1985.JPG

Kingdavid, donroberth and Gauteng like this.
  5. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Lastly, this is not really an unknown, but, IMHO, it is more beautiful than its named mother. It was also gifted to me, this time by Phil, DSC_1994.JPG as Reliance. I've never seen such a beautiful Reliance. I know Phil has a beautiful clone, but this one is over the top with color. Is this really Reliance/Willy? Sorry about the weird color/lighting on my photos today. I tried to remove the excess glare (highlights), and it gave me some weirdness. You get the idea, though.

donroberth and Gauteng like this.
  6. Kingdavid

Kingdavid Esteemed Member

Looks like Reliance but it is a beauty.....

annafl likes this.
  7. waykoolplantz

waykoolplantz Well-Known Member

Not that I can be of any help...but thank you for starting a new thread with some beautiful pics.

annafl likes this.
  8. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks so much, Mike!

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Hi Anna,I also have the plant Fairchild.I bought it at an auction 3 years ago fairchild.jpg

Gauteng, annafl and VeroKarl like this.
  10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Grandma from Ron looks to be in the Mcarthur complex of plants.All are similar but exhibit some differences,the Reliance is very pretty

11. VeroKarl

VeroKarl Well-Known Member

What a great looking plant, both your plant and Ana's. Need to add it to my wishlist.
    Mike, do you have any photos of your Halloween you could share? I got one from Randy and just put it in the garden. He said it should get more color with the additional sun. Have you got a date yet for the garden tour and auction, hopefully I will be able to go?
    Thanks Karl

12. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Yes! That's it. So you call it Fairchild? I think my tag said FTG-Demo. Thanks.

13. Perry Edge

Perry Edge Well-Known Member

I agree. I've always thought my Grandma looked like a McArthur

annafl likes this.