Some interesting developments

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by fawnridge, Jan 12, 2012.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Satan - no kidding, the leaves are 2 feet long, not including the stem.
    Buddy - huge yellow leaves that have some green tinge.
    Col. Gilbert Cutler - look what this thing is sporting. Multiple shoulders, leaves 18" long, again not including the stem. (2 pics)
    Mrs. WF Dreer - more solid yellow leaves.

Attached Files:

2. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

Ricky, im sorry, but im pretty sure thats not satan, i think its just regular Irene Kingsley

3. fawnridge

Same plant, different names. This is definitely Satan as it came from Jesse Durko's plant in The Book.

4. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

Ricky, I have to disagree, they are not the same plant, Satan does not get big leaves, and is only red and black, no hot pinks, and the leaves do not get forks on it like I see on one of yours.

5. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Wow !!! Where is the Irene Kingsley and/or Satan foto located ? Fantastic huge leaf...also, boy am I anxious to see how this thread plays out regarding Irene Kingsley vs Satan...especially after the discussion that was aired here on the forum about 2 or 3 months ago regarding this Croton. Best Belated Holiday Wishes to all the membership.

6. fawnridge

The Irene Kingsley / Satan argument has been going for decades with no resolution. I have six Satan in my garden, all from the same plant that was a cutting from Jesse Durko's Satan that is the photo in The Book. Over the years, as Croton experts have gone through my garden the same six plants have been alternately called by both names. I believe the original plant was named after someone by the name of Irene Kingsley. Then, as with many of our Croton varieties, someone who had never seen Irene Kingsley decided to name his or her plant Satan.

7. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

Sounds logical...
    According to Frank Brown's first book (1960) 'Irene Kingsley' was "introduced by John Kingsley".
    The earliest book mention of this croton (that I can find) was in 1957 by Graf.
    I can't find any info yet on John Kingsley or Irene...
    Also cannot find much on 'Satan'...

8. fawnridge

This may also be a case of Eleanor Roosevelt / Sloppy Painter or King of Siam / Wizard of Oz. Some nurseryman or landscape designer gave Irene Kingsley the name of Satan because it sells better. In the 7 or 8 years I worked as a designer, the made up names always sold more plants. Either way, I'm sticking with Satan on this one... just because.

9. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

BTW Ricky that's a great pic of an awesome leaf!

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ricky - are you exhaling on them? LOL ;)

Very nice plants. Your Satan is stretched and looks like a heavily shaded Sybil Griffin. :eek: