Some good & bad. Fertilizer bans

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
Good - Local nursery had freckles

Bad: Local big box stores no longer carry any palm & tropicals fert. Pinellas county passed an ordinance that makes it illegal to use fert during the rainy season. They've already cleaned their shelves!!
I will have to scour local nurseries for left overs (most around here do not carry slow release) and hope they can't afford to abide so soon before June when the ban is supposed to take affect.
I'll be driving over the bridge to Tampa soon to buy my fert (short lived, they are supposed to ban fert too)
Pissed because they exempted golf courses from this ban. I am not on water and use slow release twice yearly. Who else is dealing with this?

School me if there are other 'organic' additives for our sugar sand in FL
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/local/pinellas-commission-passes-fertilizer-ban-6-1/1066731

Big brother is watching us. Do you know that the folks from California have to drive to Nevada to purchase detergent for their dishwashers! That is because California banned phosphates in thier detergents for dishwashers. Guess what? The detergents in California does not get the dishes clean, hence the trips to Nevada. When will big brother get off our backs?
(Jim).

PS I type better than Judy; she is just a "hunt & pecker":)

Pretty soon it's going to be...... Hey, I got a friend, who has a friend, that knows a guy, whose neighbor can get you a bag of the good stuff. You know, some pure 8-2-12. But it's gonna cost you!:D

I'm going to see if Lowes is still carrying it.

Palmisland, that's pretty funny but you know, eventually it is going to be like that LOL. Bags of fert will go for big bucks at our auctions :D

And I forgot to mention that home depot still had bottles of nutricote on the shelves. The name they package it under escapes me but I've seen them in green, red and blue shaker bottles.
I thought it was odd that they remained.

Yes but wasn't the bagged brand they carried control released too? White and pink bag for palms and tropicals. The guy told me they were no longer going to carry it. Is there a difference between controlled release and slow release?

Before we come unglued over the so-called ferttilizer bans, a quick check with your local extension agent may provide some quantitative info sinstead of bad rumors, etc.

Now, FWIW, Lowe's on 22nd N in St. Pete still had 8-2-12 with slow release nitrogen, 40# bags for under $20. Bought two more bags this morning.
At the Kopsick Palm Arboretum, we have been using a Florikan 8-2-12+4Mg and minors, all 3 month controlled release form; the latest pallet load will be 8-0-12+4Mg and minors in 3 mo. controlled release. No big thing since most FL soils have more than enough P - think phosphate mines in Polk Cty. Anyone ever see a P deficiency?

Onward through the fog...