Soil

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by fawnridge, Dec 18, 2010.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

"If you get it for free, then it's dirt. If you have to pay for it, it's soil" David McLean

I'm curious about what sort of potting mixes everyone is using. Mine is very simple - 2 parts pine fines to 1 part Bushel Stop potting soil. The Bushel Stop soil is approximately: half top soil, one-quarter sand, and one-quarter crushed pine bark. I've had very good success - better than 90% - with gray wood Croton cuttings and the mistbed.

2. Croton Guru

Croton Guru Banned

I like the little Mist bed you have there, Mine was kinda similiar. But i enclosed mine in Visqueen with a door made also out of visqueen. great for creating humidity on new cuttings all year around.

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Miracle Grow Potting Mix from Casa Depot - may be a bit expensive but 2-3 bags is enough for a good season's batch of air layers and cuttings.

4. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Phil - 2 to 3 bags for the whole season? How big are the bags? I go through 3 bags (2 pine fines, 1 pot soil) a month during the growing season.

5. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

2.5 cu.ft. (70.5 liters) - after a bit of consideration up that to 5 bags max in a good season and 2-3 after last winter; not a whole lot of air layers on plants with no leaves..... I'm leaning more towards bigger but fewer air layers - 3 gal vice 1 gal or 1 qt

6. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

I've used jungle grow from lowes & miracle grow acid lovers mix without any problems.