Slightly dissapointing Fairchild vist today.

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
The gardens were in great shape but very little flowering trees and not many crotons.Maybe it is just the time of year but I could only find Silk Floss and Euphorbia Punicea flowering.Also not many crotons at all.There are so many ideal croton locations there,I wonder why they have so few??The gardens could use a little colour.Moose, there was a Lodoicea in the greenhouse,it was powering along and had around 5 fronds.It will have to moved once it grows another 5-6 feet.The gardens were clean but devoid of any colour.The palms look great.The Pseudophoenix Ekmanii grouping is starting to look impressive.

It's this time of year. Very few flowering trees are going to be flowering now. I'm glad to hear the gardens is looking nice though, especially the palms. I'll be there this friday setting up for the palm sale this weekend. And, I oftenned wonder why there were not more crotons planted too. I most likely will see and talk to Bruce Greer this weekend( President of BOD's) and I could bring this up. I know space is not an issue. Maybe they don't have in the budget the monies it would take to keep the crotons happy and pest free year round. I don't know. I will also be down there the following weekend of the Ramble as well.

There is an unnamed forum member here that offered to make a nice donation of an extensive collection (many rare) of crotons. They received a less than warm reception from the Garden to the idea. :( Perhaps the garden was looking for a large check to go with the donation of the plants? :confused:

They need to add a little color.I was with a small group and I kept quiet while they walked around.Everyone thought that the gardens were well maintained but unimpressive,I agree with you that there are truly unlimited areas were crotons,cordylines etc. could be added to give a touch of color.So many shaded areas for Polychromes etc.All it takes is a small shot of Merit every other year or so.Anyways just my opinion.

It's this time of year. Very few flowering trees are going to be flowering now. I'm glad to hear the gardens is looking nice though, especially the palms. I'll be there this friday setting up for the palm sale this weekend. And, I oftenned wonder why there were not more crotons planted too. I most likely will see and talk to Bruce Greer this weekend( President of BOD's) and I could bring this up. I know space is not an issue. Maybe they don't have in the budget the monies it would take to keep the crotons happy and pest free year round. I don't know. I will also be down there the following weekend of the Ramble as well.

Rare crotons plus 50K plus installation and maintenance :)

There is an unnamed forum member here that offered to make a nice donation of an extensive collection (many rare) of crotons. They received a less than warm reception from the Garden to the idea. :( Perhaps the garden was looking for a large check to go with the donation of the plants? :confused:

Friend just got back from Jamaica and commented on lack of colour down there too. It's that time of year - cooler up north and decreasing amount of daylight in most of northern hemisphere.

$25 entrance fee, :mad: you would think they would attempt to provide a more colorful garden. :rolleyes: Crotons would surely be a solution for year round color, especially this time of year. :)

Attendance at the Ramble was way down this year. There are probably 1/3 of the vendors selling plants from 10 years ago. A garden festival without plants? :confused:

Seems that people may be reacting to the Fairchild fleecing ... :rolleyes:

I do not know how long the current management structure has been in place but it seems to me that they could use a change at the top.A new set of eyes and ideas.It is not a cheap visit at over $100 for a family of four.
As I was walking around the garden I saw so many ideal croton/cordyline planting locations.Dappled light everywhere.My guess is 1000 colorful plants could easily be placed in the gardens and still have tons of untouched places left over.I also cannot get why offers of donations get cold shoulder??

Attendance at the Ramble was way down this year. There are probably 1/3 of the vendors selling plants from 10 years ago. A garden festival without plants? :confused:

Seems that people may be reacting to the Fairchild fleecing ... :rolleyes:

I was at Fairchild on November 5th for the South Florida Palm Society sale and found these beauties. #1 had a sign "Stained Glass" and of course "Rudy Bachman" . The #3rd one, I don't know. There has to be more!

Attachments

• DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0048.jpg
    DSC_0048.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 94