1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Show your Orchids here

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by ScotTi, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Post pictures of Orchids

Attached Files:

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Who doesn't like orchids? You've reminded me that I need to "plant" many more. I don't think I have many blooming now, but I'll check and see if I can get a few pics to post.

3. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, Do you have a Vanilla Bean orchid ? Easy to grow here in FL up a palm trunk. I think it would do great for you. Scott

Attached Files:

4. Dypsisdean

Scott,

No I don't. That's good to know. If you don't know, my garden here is still in the younger stages. I still have many palms and larger things to plant. But I have many tree fern trunks, etc. that I intend to put all kind of epiphytes on --- eventually. I only have about a dozen orchids so far. But I intend to have many. The Big Island's nickname is "The Orchid Isle." :)

I'll look for the Vanilla one. I have one that smells like coconut. :)

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, If you can't find the V.B.O. let me know. I will be cutting mine back after flowering.

6. Dypsisdean

Thanks for the offer Scott, but it would be difficult to get any orchid cuttings into Hawaii. That is one they are really touchy about because of the orchid industry here.

However, I'm sure there are some around. I think I even read an article in the local paper about them once. But if not, I'll check with Ag and maybe get back to you.

Thanks Again

7. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

A quick update on the Vanilla Bean Orchid. It has a couple of 4 inch beans hanging now. Did not expect it. I did not hand pollinate the flowers. I will get some pics.

8. Dypsisdean

Just last month at a friend's house we saw a full hedge of this orchid. the owner showed us how to peel back the little "flap" on the flower and what and when to do the pollination. It apparently has a short time "window" in which to do so, and wasn't all that easy to do. A paint brush would be useful.

You must have some insect helping you out. :)

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here is one of the beans...

Attached Files:

10. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

November Orchid flower pictures.

Attached Files:

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

another...:cool:

Attached Files:

12. putu enjula

putu enjula Well-Known Member

Bought these at Lowes...

Attached Files:

13. putu enjula

One more of the whole plant...

Attached Files:

14. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Great looking Orchids Angela.

15. putu enjula

The red one is blooming at the moment!

Attached Files:

16. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

a spotted flowering one now coming into flower.

Attached Files:

17. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Orchid 2.jpg Orchid.jpg A little intergeneric orchid. Flowers are about 3" diameter. Growing in the boots of a Sabal. :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  18. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Flowering in the trees...

Attached Files:

19. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Spring flowers. The White one scents the garden.

Attached Files:

20. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

A visit to the American Orchid Society Show and Sale this weekend here in Tampa. I had to have this one. :cool:

Attached Files:

21. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here are a few that have now come into flower in the trees here. The last 2 were purchased out of flower on the markdown rack for 1.50 last fall.

Attached Files:

22. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Pics taken at the Orchid Show And Sale... really wanted the one in picture two. Sold out except for one priced at $70.

Attached Files:

23. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Sorry about the fuzzy pics. I took them with the cell phone.

Attached Files:

24. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

:)

Attached Files:

25. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

the show must go on ...

Attached Files:

26. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

some I have never seen before...

Attached Files:

27. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

:cool: Had to have the one in the last picture, but had sold out of the flowering size. Purchased a non flowering one.

Attached Files:

28. Dypsisdean

Careful Scott - multiple addictions are very hard to manage. :)

29. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, I try very hard not to become addicted to one family of plants. I think all gardens should have a good mix. When I debut the revamped look of the garden you will notice a change.

30. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

April flowers...

Attached Files:

31. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Orchid 1.jpg Orchid 2.JPG I forget the name of this one. Its in the Cattleya alliance. Formerly listed as a Cattleya species but was moved into its own genus. Not a hybrid, this is what nature wanted it to look like. My photos did not catch the true beauty of these flowers. Not my orchid, found it growing on a tree just outside the door to Jeff Searle's office at his nursery. :eek:

32. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

That is a nice looking orchid.

33. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Scott,
    Somehow I missed this entire topic when it was first started. A really neat flower that Ron posted at the nursery and I actually forgot it was growing there. I have another at the house, so when I got home yesterday, and sure enough, it was flowering too. Except this one had 5 blooms out! I just happened to get two new ones on saturday so I tied them on two different trees today. One had a large pinkish/purple flower ( Cattalaya) and the other has a much smaller flower, but smells like chocolate. We now have about 50 orchids on the trees if I were to guess. What a great way to add so much beauty to a garden, guest just absolutley love it when they see one flowering as their walking.

34. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Jeff, When you get a chance post some of your Orchid pics. Guest here are always amazed that Orchids can be grown outdoors here.

Attached Files:

• 101.jpg
      101.jpg
      File size:
      135.9 KB
      Views:
  35. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Encyclia tampensis 1.JPG Encyclia tampensis 2.JPG Encyclia tampensis 3.JPG A native Florida species growing on the same tree outside Jeff Searle's office, Encyclia tampensis (hope I spelled it right). Waiting for Jeff to add some pictures to this thread.

Very beautiful Vanda Scott! :cool:

36. Dypsisdean

Most people shy away from orchids thinking they are very hard to grow. Truth is that some of them are very forgiving and tough plants. More people should be giving them a try.

37. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, but the camera stopped working when Andrea was taking pictures underwater. So for now.....

38. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Vanda 1.JPG Vanda 2.JPG Vanda 3.JPG An unknown Vanda species. This has been growing on my avocado tree for 16+ years. It was started from a single rooted cutting transferred from a palm.

I had another growing on a mango tree but the branch it was on died and got termites. Made several cuttings from that one and gave to Jeff Searle. He attached them all to the trunk of a Neoveitchia storkii adjacent to his front door. It flowered for him last year and I suspect if he checks, it should be blooming now. ;)

Eventually I had to remove the branch (12 inches diameter). The remaining plant was removed from the decomposing bark. It was rather large and got put into Chris' (pocomo) Oak tree out in the easement. It was doing great and had readily attached itsely to the oak. The day I picked Chris up to go to the Croton Garden Tour, he looked up to find the orchid had been liberated and is living some place else now. :mad:

Chris will be getting some replacement cuttings from this orchid, after it's stopped blooming of course. :eek:

39. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Prra.JPG This diminutive vandaceous looking orchid was growing on the trunk of a Phoenix cariensis for years. Too shaded - so I moved it to an Oak tree a year ago with more sun exposure and viola! :cool: These flowers are very long lasting. It is an inter-genera hybrid with a Prra. desgination on the tag. The name, who knows - it broke off years ago. :p

40. Dypsisdean

Wow - I live on the "Orchid Isle," but would die for some of the varieties you guys have.