Show Your Bromeliads

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
When I bought this place some 15 years ago I inherited part of the previous homeowners collection. Many of them still remain and I have added some.
Img_6975.jpg

Bromeliads look great growing in trees and on palm trunks for a splash of color.
Img_6953.jpg
Img_6952.jpg
Img_6974.jpg

Here is one that just appeared on Oleander branch a couple of years ago. It must be one of the FL native plants.
Img_6967.jpg
Img_6969.jpg

Very cool. None of mine are doing that well. The old leaves have gone all straggly and no new ones have emerged.

Am I supposed to cut off the old leaves? What about the flowers? When they go all brown and dead, do I cut them out? Or do I just let them sit there and wither away naturally?

Tony, I do not make it a habit but will remove old leaves and cut out the dead when it looks unsightly.

Aechmea Flamingo is a new addition from Brenda, placed in a mule.
Img_7180.jpg

Last edited:
I just started buying broms this year but then realized I have no shade anywhere on my property other than this corner so this is where everything sits. Along with reading about the sun requirements and how much sun they're able to take, i've been placing stuff in more sun and slowly moving them away if they start showing signs of burning.

your B.casa blanca is asking for more light, you can see mine in the first photo, it's the tall mostly white on against the wall and towards the left

mfuR8jJ.jpg

Fd6muRY.jpg

if you look at the 2nd photo in the bottom center you'll see my Neo. rubrovittata 'Fuego' and below is a photo of it now. after the first photo it was moved to all day full sun and about 40 days later it looks like this

O1ak2xn.jpg

I think my biggest problem with broms is going to be all the pups. some i'll let clump a little but I like to maintain a pretty tidy garden because visually it's what appeals to me and always assumed I'd only keep one plant per species in the ground

Vriesea Gigantea var Seideliana (AKA Nova) is said to have a rosette up to 30" wide when mature.
Img_8834.jpg

Scott,
Any recommendations for bromeliad identification. Most of the bromeliads I have gotten over the past couple of years came from sales at botanical gardens and the vast majority were sold with no name. I have a decent selection and some are happier than others depending on the location, but I have not got a clue what most of them are. Some may just be unnamed hybrids, although I am sure there must be some way to figure out what they are. I am still experimenting with the light conditions. Some cook in sun and lose the color in the shade, so need to find the balance of what they need. Same with water. Some rot and some dry out and nearly wither away. Most I catch in time to move them to a more suitable environment. Definitely would not want to live without them, although I do need to start dividing up some of the clumps because they are going to take over the garden. While others have done almost nothing in 3 years.

Karl, I have no recommendations for ID. I have many without names and I am ok with that. It is nice to know the names and if I purchase the plant with a name I will label it with the name. I have purchased a few at plant sales and the seller did not know the name and seller said it was more than likely a unnamed hybrid. I have had to play around with a few to find the right sun conditions and have noticed most do best in about 5 hours full sun. The green and yellow colored plants look best in a couple of hours of sun or filtered sun. The darker colored plants that I have are not fussy and look good in more sun conditions, but look good in shade conditions also.

Last edited:
Karl, I have no recommendations for ID. I have many without names and I am ok with that. It is nice to know the names and if I purchase the plant with a name I will label it with the name. I have purchased a few at plant sales and the seller did not know the name and seller said it was more than likely a unnamed hybrid. I have had to play around with a few to find the right sun conditions and have noticed most do best in about 5 hours full sun. The green and yellow colored plants look best in a couple of hours of sun or filtered sun. The darker colored plants that I have are not fussy and look good in more sun conditions, but look good in shade conditions also.
Thanks Scott. It seems that there is less emphasis on the names of the bromeliads and it is probably because so many are unnamed. I figured if there was an easy ID method I would tackle it, but if not I am not going to worry about it. One of my goals is to put out plant labels for everything in the gardens, but that is going to be a challenge with the number of plants I have put in the ground over the last 3 years (many without tags). I will do my best when I get around to it.

As a general rule, the toothier the brom, the more sun it can take. Most of my aechmeas look like dogs without half day sun. With neos, morning hard sun is always preferable.

As a general rule, the toothier the brom, the more sun it can take. Most of my aechmeas look like dogs without half day sun. With neos, morning hard sun is always preferable.
Thanks. I have always focused on the color, aside from when the seller tells me the bromeliad's specific needs. I need to look at them more carefully to see if they have the toothy leaves or not. Trial and error has helped, but it is good to find patterns to follow.

Neoregelia "Groves" 'Cotton Candy'- This is a hybrid by Giant Groves, who is famous for bright colored neos.
pizap.com14309385583531.jpg
pizap.com14309386471441.jpg
pizap.com14309388162611.jpg

Last edited:
Scott, I moved a bunch of those flamingo out front. Strong sun & the color is now outstanding!
Brenda, I placed the Flamingo in a re-do area of the garden about 3 weeks ago and the colors are coming. Thanks again!
pizap.com14327004072561.jpg
pizap.com14327005114201.jpg

When I first saw 'Ramosa" I knew I had to have this one. The leaves are soft on this one.
pizap.com14327001666801.jpg
pizap.com14327002922451.jpg