Seedling

Native son

Esteemed Member
16/11/12
10a
seed taken from a Richard K. I got from Jeff 2014
image.jpg
Just an example of the instability of our little friends.

Looking good,once you get them some sun we will see if they will start showing some strong colors.With seedling you never know what you will get for along time.I had a few that started out with great color and lost it over time and vice versa

Looking good,once you get them some sun we will see if they will start showing some strong colors.With seedling you never know what you will get for along time.I had a few that started out with great color and lost it over time and vice versa
I am finally starting to have a large number of seedlings showing up in several gardens. Some I potted up, but they have not seemed thrilled so most I planted back in the ground. How long does it take before you have an idea of what they will actually look like. Is it years? I am so impatient that I check them regularly expecting something magical to happen, but they all seem so slow (some seem to not have grown at all in 6 months). Thanks for you input.

You have a good crop coming there, Lamar! Karl, I find them exasperating! Up here they stall during winter, so their growth is so much slower than in South Florida. I've just planted a few of my best three year olds in the ground, but they are still small! I've seen some of George Zammas's one year olds that are much larger than my 3 year olds. I guess I just don't know much about media, conditions they like. I also lose a good number to damping off. Last year I put all (maybe 150 ) of my promising ones outside and two days later we had a huge wind/rainstorm and I lost all of them! I find it to be a very frustrating experience. I keep trying though, because it's just so cool to try to custom-make a plant by mixing and matching DNA's! Hopefully later this year some of mine will speed up and I'll see if they are worth anything to me.

Two more 4 years in the making
image.jpg
image.jpg
I put this one in the pot last year just for fun and it took off. The seedling is only 20 months old. I seem to have the market cornered on that leaf type.
image.jpg
image.jpg
This one is an unnamed Volunteer about 4 years old.