Searching for "Pixie Abilene"

Jerry Shilling

03/12/10
I could sure use your help in evaluating the three following hybrids. They are from the same seed cluster as "Daisy's Dance" & "Daisy Christine". It would be pretty neat if one of these would be worthy of "Pixie Abilene" since they are sisters.

The following photos were taken this summer between June 15th & August 10th. They were planted this past spring and are beginning to take off.

First up is JLS10110025

Attachments

• 0025a.jpg
    0025a.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 0025b.jpg
    0025b.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 0025c.jpg
    0025c.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 0025d.jpg
    0025d.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 72
  • 0025f.jpg
    0025f.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 0025g.jpg
    0025g.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 80
Next is JLS10110026

Good grower, I planted this one next to Mortii. Similiar leaves contrasting red & yellow. Reminds me of Cardinal but better color I think.

Attachments

• 0026a.jpg
    0026a.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 0026b.jpg
    0026b.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 0026c.jpg
    0026c.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 0026d.jpg
    0026d.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 0026e.jpg
    0026e.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 0026f.jpg
    0026f.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 70
Last one is JLS10110027

Key characteristic is it's undulating oak-leaf. Very light sensitive. Wide variation branch to branch, depending on the varying degrees of direct sun.
Does well with a lot of sun...smaller leaf but no serious bleaching.

The value in this plant may be as a breeder. Very prolific flower producer - constant orgy going on. I plan on crossing this plant a great deal this winter.

The last 2 photos are of a cutting that was a palm frond casuality from a year ago. It has been in the shade. I will bring this one to the Glock tour in November. Trade or auction.

Is anyone aware of an undulating oak-leaf? I don't think this one will measure up to Pixie, but I thought I would name it "Zigzag".

Attachments

• 1027b.jpg
    1027b.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 1027e.jpg
    1027e.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 96
  • 1027f.jpg
    1027f.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 1027g.jpg
    1027g.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 1027j.jpg
    1027j.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 1027k.jpg
    1027k.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 88
Dang Jerry. now I know why you are seeking recommendations. What a quandry, all are exceptional cultivars in my opinion.

The first has wonderful veining. Coloring could become very interesting.

The second has the best coloring IMO. Very nice leaf shape as well.

The third - look at that unique leaf shape. Undulating lamina on an oak shaped leaf - gotta love that.

Can't decide on a pick. Perhaps you should go with the one that is the most vigorous plant to name Pixie Abilene. Better chance that the more vigorous one to flourish in a large variety of gardens that can cultivate crotons. :)

Jerry, All 3 look great! I really like the look of the last one. :cool: The "Zigzag" name fits it also. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Jerry, they're all winners. Can't go wrong on this one. Maybe Jodi and her husband should vote. However, I vote for 027. What great undulation! That is incredibly unique and eye catching. Just like Daisy Christine is all about color, Daisy's Dance is all about leaf shape, this one is all about undulations! Makes you want to smile and seems fun like a roller coaster ride- or a pixie. I love it. I can picture a mature plant- would catch the eye for sure. Just my two cents. Congrats again on Pixie!

Jim and I went over to Jerry's house yesterday to evaluate the future "Pixie Abilene" croton candidates! Having studying them for hours, while helping ourselves to Jerry's cold beer,we decided we should just take a cutting of each, since they were all 4-6 ft tall and we could not make an "on the spot" decision! Brought them back to our place so we could study them further!;)

Jim and I went over to Jerry's house yesterday to evaluate the future "Pixie Abilene" croton candidates! Having studying them for hours, while helping ourselves to Jerry's cold beer,we decided we should just take a cutting of each, since they were all 4-6 ft tall and we could not make an "on the spot" decision! Brought them back to our place so we could study them further!;)

Judy,

You might want to double check those cuttings. With all the beers Jim consumed, he might of cut Petras, and Mammeys. For that matter, I wouldn't let Jim hold any clippers, just the zip-loc baggy.

All I can say, is when the cat's away, the mice will play. lol

Drinks your beer and then takes cuttings from your plants - hmmmm, hope your cat is OK :rolleyes:

Jerry - if forced to make a choice, leaning towards the third selection. Perhaps you need to change you user name to "The Pollinator" LOL :D