1. Please enjoy this new off-topic forum. It is open to everyone. Common sense will prevail as to what can be discussed. If any discussion becomes too controversial or offensive to some, it will be moved to the private "Talk Story" forum.

If you wish to read the more provocative topics in the private forum, please click on the "Contact Us" link in the lower right corner of any page and request admission.

(You may dismiss this notice permanently by clicking on the small "X" - upper right)
    Dismiss Notice

San Francisco Bay Area setting warmth records.

Discussion in 'INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL, PROVOCATIVE, EDUCATIONAL' started by Stan, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

It was 71 here in town today according to Weather Channel. Oakland might have also set a new record. Warmer tomorrow.
    Winter this year has spread from the last week of December to the third week of January..sandwiched by warm or mild temperatures. That's the shortest spread of time between mild temps I have seen. I've lived here in Hayward since 1967.
    Now,frost free temps yes, in the past..but with warm days?..this year wins.
    And gosh darn, The Crotons went through the winter,the Delonix and Maridol papaya. Mango. I actually have a Dracenae that's a colorful twisty leafed cultivar- that says "houseplant-greenhouse" all over it..do great outside. Dean spotted it..and now in late January it is just as nice.
    Only,warmer=drier. There is always a catch.

2. Enjoy it, I guess. :)

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Today RR and everybody, I hit 72f at my house and Weather Channel said 74f. The warmest January day ever recorded (Intellicast stats) in Hayward was 73f. So,not only a nice day..but a never before in January possibly. Warmer tomorrow. Scary when you consider the average for this time of year is in the 58-60f range.
    Also- we don't have a great desert to our east like soucal. I'm not sure if the Valley got past 50f..so that's a lot of coastal warming.

4. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

We did it. 74at hayx. With the microclimates we have in town, I'm never sure what the official number is going to be until the next day.
    Warmest January day ever.
    Warmer today.

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I'm sure your plants are loving it, especially your crotons. :muffit:

6. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Thanks Moose. Its encouraging me to add more. I like the fiddle leafed type,and if I see stoplight. Ti plants are something I would like to add more of. The dynamic duo of Ti and Croton really make the side of the house look tropical. I've never seen a run of such mildness like this. Never. Heck,last nights low of 55f was like a summer night for us.
    I have Rambutan seeds. Anybody have cold tolerance knowledge about them?

Moose likes this.
  7. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Ok,that record didn't last long. We hit, 78-82f depending on weather station and website. Even 78f is of course, well over the 74f last weekend.
    I never thought the day would come that we came to a near 80f in flatland Hayward in January. I watered the Delonix and Maridols. The Papayas look perfect.

8. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Here's hoping you get the rain that may roll in for you guys in about 10 days.

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Rambutan has some cold sensitivity in South Florida - that has to tell you something. Don't know of any planted in the ground here - but they may hate our calcareous soil.

10. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Thanks,Dean,Moose. Hmm.Rambutan sounds no way. The rains-once again- are streaming up from Hawaii. They are talking much rain out of the four day period.
    Its been upper 60's to low 70's everyday. With the Hawaiian storms..a one- of, year. Until next year?

11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

SF is having a milder winter then Florida

12. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Once again,we are on a record or near record streak. Yesterday one of the local stations said Hayward set a record. But,it was a nice day and all,but not a record.
    The year has been a record of near record temps. Its like if you took your local weather maps "all time highs" for the last 50 years,and had them all in one year. Almost the situation here.

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Your Hayward Mango has to be cranking :FastGrow

14. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

It is!..the flower stalk is developing fast. And its flushing leaves as we are having-again- record or near record warm. Weather Channel says 78f,I saw 76f at my house.
    Just a few days ago,the rains were torrential. Now this.