Same croton - different name

Same plant- new name - do you buy or trade for it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
The whole Ishi vs. Princess Eugenia thread made me think about croton names and what makes us buy or trade for yet another croton. As a group of collectors, is another new name really a sufficient reason to collect another plant? Even if you know there's something identical or very similar already in your collection? There was a time I'd collect anything with a new name. Many of you still do this. Space in the garden has thankfully forced me to be selective. Even now, I'll give away a plant that resembles something else too closely. In most cases, the same plant was purchased twice with 2 names. So, for example, do you purchase another "Kentucky" if it's labeled "Mother's Pride" or "Salty Tongue" at a sale? It doesn't look identical to your Kentucky but the growing conditions were a little different and makes the plant take on a slightly different appearance. Does the doubt overcome you? Do you go home with the same, renamed plant just because 'Mother's Pride" isn't already in your collection? What's more important, the plant itself or a new name?

Ray,

I think it boils down to being an educated consumer....at the best you can. We all have bought something under one name later to find it's already something we had. These plants aren't cut and dry when figuring out an ID for them. Always has been and always will be. What I will say, over the last few years, I really have notice many, many names have been cleared up and understanding so many different plants that are now available is becoming clearer and clearer over time.

The much bigger problem I see is, certain varieties that are still in the hands of only one or two people. Especially some that are listed in B. Frank's book. God forgive if one's lost, because once it's gone, it's gone forever. I understand if it's still a small, very slow growing plant and doesn't produce many offshoots.

Agreed Ray,I have decided that many plants that I have different names on in my garden are probably one variety.Columbiana is a plant in my garden that has 3 different names on them.
As time goes by I will be reducing the list of varieties in my garden by combining them under one name

The whole Ishi vs. Princess Eugenia thread made me think about croton names and what makes us buy or trade for yet another croton. As a group of collectors, is another new name really a sufficient reason to collect another plant? Even if you know there's something identical or very similar already in your collection? There was a time I'd collect anything with a new name. Many of you still do this. Space in the garden has thankfully forced me to be selective. Even now, I'll give away a plant that resembles something else too closely. In most cases, the same plant was purchased twice with 2 names. So, for example, do you purchase another "Kentucky" if it's labeled "Mother's Pride" or "Salty Tongue" at a sale? It doesn't look identical to your Kentucky but the growing conditions were a little different and makes the plant take on a slightly different appearance. Does the doubt overcome you? Do you go home with the same, renamed plant just because 'Mother's Pride" isn't already in your collection? What's more important, the plant itself or a new name?

Sometimes the name is very important. I've wanted a Poopsie Mcguillicutty for years just based on the name. I think the plant itself is just green with occasional yellow splotches. I love the name.

Sometimes the name is very important. I've wanted a Poopsie Mcguillicutty for years just based on the name. I think the plant itself is just green with occasional yellow splotches. I love the name.

I heard that Poopsie is actually an unknown from the Ralph Davis Estate. They grew the cutting and decided there were already too many Unknowns from the Ralph Davis Estate. Hence it got named. A name is much easier to remember in my opinion. I got on Chris about naming some of his creations - which he has. :)