ROBERTICO’S COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS

donroberth

19/07/09
I have made it a habit (since I joined the CROTON SOCIETY) to always carry my camera in my car and seldom miss an opportunity to take a foto of an interesting Croton whenever I happen upon one.

The first 7 pix in this foto essay are what I call SPARTAN or let’s just say LOW MAINTENACE GARDENS…they have at least included a CROTON! DISCLAIMER: I am terrible with CROTON I.D.’s but have decided to include them and welcome comments or assistance with an I.D. that I’m struggling with :)confused: ???). Hope you enjoy both these non-typical as well as typical Costa Rican garden photographs.

1. VEITTCHII…see what I mean about Spartan?
2. MORTII...this cultivar is hanging on for dear life along the drainage ditch.

Attachments

• 1 VEITTCHII.jpg
    1 VEITTCHII.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 2 MORTII.jpg
    2 MORTII.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 93
3. STEWARTII :)confused:???)…although this home owner is rightfully proud of her CROTON, it appears to be growing out of solid concrete.

4. JOHANNIS adorning the front of this neighborhood beauty salon.

Attachments

• 3 STEWARTII.jpg
    3 STEWARTII.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 4 JOHANNIS.jpg
    4 JOHANNIS.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 91
5. GOLD DUST :)confused:???)…I wish my Gold Dust had these nice big leaves.

6. BARON JAMES ROTHCHILD :)confused:???)…perhaps Hawaiian Red or other?

Attachments

• 5 GOLD DUST.jpg
    5 GOLD DUST.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 6 BARON JAMES ROTHCHILD.jpg
    6 BARON JAMES ROTHCHILD.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 112
7. KENTUCKY…to the left of the walking boy and gentleman and VEITTCHII behind gray colored stair railing.

8. MRS ICETON or “MANZANO”…in Costa Rican Spanish.

Attachments

• 7 KENTUCKY-VEITTCHII.jpg
    7 KENTUCKY-VEITTCHII.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 8 MRS ICETON-MANZANO.jpg
    8 MRS ICETON-MANZANO.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 95
9. ZANZIBAR…the shirtless home owner is coming out to unlock the front gate at my request in order that I may take close-up fotos of this CROTON’S leaves.

10. VEITTCHII…nice stone work personally laid by this home owner and retired gardener (hatless man with back to camera chatting with a neighbor in the back-round).

Attachments

• 9 BRILLANTISIMA-ZANZIBAR.jpg
    9 BRILLANTISIMA-ZANZIBAR.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 10 VEITTCHII.jpg
    10 VEITTCHII.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 90
11. DAYSPRING…notice the tires that surround the plants in this garden.

12. STOPLIGHT…new leaves in the process of turning into their traditional red and black.

Attachments

• 11 DAYSPRING.jpg
    11 DAYSPRING.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 12 STOP LIGHT.jpg
    12 STOP LIGHT.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 97
That is one Huge Zanzibar.I have a little one and it does not grow very fast.That one must be from the 19th century.thanks for the pics.

13. PETRA on the left and GENERAL PAGET on the right…looks like these folks painted their home using the same color code of their PETRA planted in this front garden (LOL).

14. MAJESTICUM :)confused:???) Beautiful.

15. STEWARTI…”Cat on a hot tin roof”, sorry but I couldn’t resist! I found this home garden quite appealing and has Costa Rica written all over it. Notice that this STEWARTII is also pruned into the shape of a “Christmas tree”, no need to place ornaments on it when the Christmas Holiday Season comes around...just appreciate it.

Attachments

• 13 PETRA-GEN PAGET.jpg
    13 PETRA-GEN PAGET.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 14 MAJESTICUM.jpg
    14 MAJESTICUM.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 15  STEWARTII.jpg
    15 STEWARTII.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 129
5. GOLD DUST :)confused:???)…I wish my Gold Dust had these nice big leaves.

Great pictures! These bring back many fond memories of being in Costa Rica. I think the Gold Dust is Aucubaefolium based on the leaf size and the ruddy underside of some of the leaves.

Koki...thanks for your comment re: what I'm calling Majesticum. You may be right...I'm attaching a couple of closeups which may help in correctly identifying this cultivar.

Attachments

• MAJESTICUM CLOSEUP 2.jpg
    MAJESTICUM CLOSEUP 2.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 92
  • MAJETICUM CLOSEUP 1.jpg
    MAJETICUM CLOSEUP 1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 98
Great pictures of some really nice Crotons. The Zanzibar in post #5 blew my mind. Zanzibar is my top favorite Croton that I have, but will never be that large here. Thanks again for the picture.

Great pictures of some really nice Crotons. The Zanzibar in post #5 blew my mind. Zanzibar is my top favorite Croton that I have, but will never be that large here. Thanks again for the picture.

Zanzibar seems to be one of the membership's favorite CROTONS. Here are 3 more examples of Zanzibar in Costa Rica for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• ZANZIBAR 1.jpg
    ZANZIBAR 1.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 108
  • ZANZIBAR 2.jpg
    ZANZIBAR 2.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 112
  • ZANZIBAR 3.jpg
    ZANZIBAR 3.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 94
Koki...thanks for your comment re: what I'm calling Majesticum. You may be right...I'm attaching a couple of closeups which may help in correctly identifying this cultivar.
Looks like Reliance to me also.