Rheedii vs. #2 vs. #3 ?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Feb 4, 2012.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Rheedii, Rheedii #2 & Rheedii #3 have photos in Frank Brown's Crotons of the World. I must admit that I am unsure as to the difference to these 3 forms. Could someone enlighten me as to what to look for that seperates the Rheedii's from one another. :eek:

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Hmmmm, I guess no one is willing to address my question? :(

3. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is certain about this. The plant we've been calling Rheedii #3 doesn't look anything like the one in the book. What we have is a Rheedii but I'm not convinced it's #3.

4. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

I have a 3-trunked Rheedii in the garden. All of the trunks came from the same branch of one plant eleven years ago. Every trunk has a different look to its leaves. Some could be Rheedii #2, some #3, some totally different than any photo of Rheedii I've ever seen.

5. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

First pics are of plain, old, generic, run of the mill Rheedii. Lots of pinks; adapts to part to full sun and can get leggy quickly.

Attached Files:

6. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

...and here's two pics of a Rheedii #3 from Jeff's sale over a year ago; it is still adapting to its new environment over here

Attached Files:

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Thank you Phil!!! I have the same exact scenario. I try to compare it with the other Rheedii but like you said it is establishing itself. The reason I started this post was someone has offered a Rheedii #2 to me involving $$$$$$$. I don't want to drop that kind of money when these three forms have some questions. Or as Ray has indicated: "I don't think anyone is certain about this".

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Rheedii #3

Attached Files:

9. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Here's what I have for Rheedii #2. It is a small plant yet, and has not really grown since I have purchased it. The plant appears more red in color when seen in person. CAM00097.jpg CAM00098.jpg CAM00100.jpg

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Oh my! Tim - Moose likes very mucho. :cool: Need to discuss some trading options on your next visit. ;)