Ravenala madagascariensis

Jeff in Costa Rica

31/03/08
A photo of the front gate to my friend's farm. I love his two Traveler's Trees!

Attachments

• 280.jpg
    280.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 317
Thanks for that pic Jeff - Impressive.

When I used to work at Phil Bergman's sale and BBQ, it was amazing the requests we always had for these "palms." People wouldn't know what they were, but when they started to ask if we had those "palms" that went all in a line, we were quick to understand what they meant. And it just so happened that because of that, Phil always had a bunch.

The Traveler's Palm and the Sealing Wax palm were the two most often requested items from first time visitors.

I have heard two explanations as to the origin of the name Traveler's Palm. Does anyone know for sure why they are called that?

The story I heard is that rainwater collects in the wells of the leaves. Thirsty travelers could cut a leaf, turn it upside down and have a drink of water. What other explanation did you hear?

I heard that one, and the dubious one that the direction of the "plane" of the leaves is always in a certain direction. Therefore providing travelers a way to locate directions.

I've heard of the plant "turning" if not planted in this direction. But I have seen several plants close to one another with some "pointed" one way and some another. Still some people maintain that if given unrestricted light and an open location, plants that sprout from seed will all face the same direction.

nice photo,

I always wondered if the orient themselves in a certain direction. Ive heard they more often than not fan out from east to west, although they dont grow here and have not experience comparing them.

I also have heard of them turning after planting.

anyone with some info on these?

nice photo,

I always wondered if the orient themselves in a certain direction. Ive heard they more often than not fan out from east to west, although they dont grow here and have not experience comparing them.

I also have heard of them turning after planting.

anyone with some info on these?

If you plant it E/W it will grow E/W.

If you plant it N/S it will grow.......N/S

Nature is amazing!