Rare Banana

AA 16.JPG
AA 17.JPG

Next task is to chunk up the trunk. I used the reciprocating saw for that. I threw the chunks in my Rubber Maid cart to move them to an area in the back of the property.

AA 18.JPG
AA 19.JPG

The ends of the cut stems were white which were quickly turning darker in color. Rapid oxidation possibly caused by exposing stored sugars in the stem to the air.

The stem removal continues which quickly fills a second cart load. The stem is in the second photo. Angular cut working around the sucker trying to do them any harm. Smaller pieces of the stem are now removed navigating around the suckers, the stem is now cut down as far as I'm gonna go. The last cart of banana stem debris, these are all the whittling down pieces.

AA 20.JPG
AA 21.JPG
AA 22.JPG
AA 23.JPG

AA 24.JPG
AA 25.JPG

All the stem pieces were hauled to the back and placed on older mulch that has very active microbial activity going on. The Fiji dwarf Coconut and Corypha umbraculifera will surely appreciate all this rich organic material getting down into the soil. The earthworms will be having a big party soon. The wife said they reminded her of giant heart of celery stalks.

AA 26.JPG

Using the serrated steak knife again all the fruit are separated from the main fruit stalk. The harvest yield is 134 salvageable bananas. The bag is full of those which fell off. They are heading to a family friend who will cook them green, just like a plantain.

AA 27 (2).JPG
AA 27.JPG

The bottle is for scale on some of the larger bananas. I've grown much larger AeAe bananas but those where grown during the hot rainy season. This is my first winter harvest of these bananas.