1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Rams Horn ID

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by ScotTi, Jul 11, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Found this today was labled Yellow Iceton (not). I am thinking Rams Horn. But after getting it home it looks diffrent from my Rams Horn (pic 2). Are they the same or is one not a R.H. ?

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      126.5 KB
      Views:
  2. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Yes, it's the same plant. I've taken cuttings from my Ram's Horn and they look like both.

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Scott- This looks more like Revolutions than Ram's Horn. Revolutions appeared last year (at least to me). The one I had died during the winter. I picked up three more in 1 qt. pots at the McDill AFB Commissary last month (hey, you get 'em where you can!).

Attached are two pics; RH is the one in the ground at the left; Revolutions is/are the ones in the pots on the center right; no idea what the small leaf yellow and green one is in first pic. RH seems to have more definite yellow leaf veins than Revolutions.

Perhaps someone familiar with the nursery trade can enlighten us on where Revolutions came from

Attached Files:

4. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Phil,

I agree, it looks more like Revolutions than Rams Horn. Revolutions turned up two years ago I believe at the TPIE Trade Show here in Ft. Lauderdale. It was introduced by Del Roose (spelling is probably off) which is a large nursery in Holland.

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Phil and Jeff, Thank you guys! I looked up Revolutions and you guys are right. When I saw it I knew it was diffrent, but really looks like this one should have the name Rams Horn over the real Rams Horn.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      59.4 KB
      Views:
  6. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Well, not to start an argument, but I have a Ram's Horn that was definitely ID'd by everyone who was here at the Croton meeting. I've taken cuttings from it and they look exactly like the photos above until they grow out and start looking more like the original plant. If there is a "Revolutions" is it possible it really is just another "Ram's Horn"?

7. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

Revolutions and Rams Horn are entirely different plants. Colors are also different as Rams horn has green, yellow, and sometimes red to it.
    Revolutions is entirely white and green.

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Rob - My Rams Horn definitely blushes reds and oranges on the veins. It appears that they may be distinct cultivars. :eek:

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I think I need a revolutions now :eek:

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Anyone know where I can find a Revolutions? Here is my Rams Horn. I had it growing in too much shade. Rob and Jeff stopped by and recommended that I put it in more sun. I transplanted it to the hole made by my Pigefetta elata palm that subcomed to our artic blast last winter. I put Judy's Beauty where the Ram's Horn was growing. It has really taken off since I followed Rob and Jeff's advice! :p

Attached Files:

11. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Ron,

The more, full blasting sun, the better. And yes, Judy's Beauty will do great in partial shade. That's a great croton for showing orange.

12. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Moose-
    The only place I've seen Revoltions for sale is at the McDill AFB Commissary. Not the garden center in the Exchange, but the Commissary. Four inch pots, one or more sticksf about 9" tall for $1.95. Some of the big box stores must have these...

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Here are some better pictures of my Ram's Horn. :)

Attached Files:

• RH 2.jpg
      RH 2.jpg
      File size:
      271.7 KB
      Views:
    • RH 4.jpg
      RH 4.jpg
      File size:
      231 KB
      Views:
    • RH 3.jpg
      RH 3.jpg
      File size:
      209.7 KB
      Views:
    • RH.jpg
      RH.jpg
      File size:
      242.6 KB
      Views:
  14. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I found my Revoltions at Lowes in the house plant area. Also saw them at Dolins in St Pete this past weekend in 4" pots.

15. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

How much sun is needed to get the blushes of reds and oranges on the veins?

16. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Stopped at Dolans on Tuesday and bought a revolutions. Only saw one pot, the one I bought :)

17. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Pretty heavy sun. I had it in heavy shade and it stayed very green. I moved it so it gets bright afternoon sun on a westerly exposure. :cool:

18. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

When I was there Sat. they had over a dozen.