Question about cuttings

Sihara

26/10/08
The only croton I've ever rooted - this was over a year ago - was a clipping that someone was throwing out at the USF show, so I brought it home and stuck it in a vase with some water and it rooted and I potted it up. Then I got an (unknown) cutting at the June meeting.

Since rooting in water worked before, I did the same with the cutting I got in June. It now has a few tiny fragile-looking roots. Should I transplant it into soil now? If so, should it be a mix of peat and sand?

Thanks - I would really like to not kill this croton.

Nyssa,

The problem as I think you know, is takinging it from the water and potting it up without breaking the few roots. Unlike with rooting a cutting already in a pot of soil, or removing an airlayer,your starting off with brittle, exposed roots. When you think it has enough roots, go ahead and pot it up carefully and keep it moist and in the shade. I think you'll be ok.

Jeff

Yeah, that's what I was worried about - the transitioning from water into soil. I'll do just what you said and wait till it gets more roots on it before gently potting up.

Thanks for the info - guess I should root them directly in moist soil next time.

Check the back issues of The Croton Society journal for complete info on the 'bag method' of rooting cuttings. Inexpensive and very reliable. I even rooted a load of Elenor Roosevelt cuttings over one mild winter thanks to neighbor that pruned his in November. It took several moths but worked.

Thanks, Phil. I've looked & looked but haven't found the issue yet. When I do, I'll try that.