Queen palm Extravaganza.

Stan

17/04/14
94f (34c) bay breeze,41%humidity. And standing in the shade of palm fronds. A nice day.

On the Hayward-Union City- Newark border,z10a on the eastside of SF bay. Just 25 years ago,it was uncommon to even see Queen palms in the bay area. And- for sure NEVER more then one to a yard. Things have changed. This is a gated community..must be used to people taking photos..just smiled and waved.
I think Hayward has more Queen palms- Jacaranda's- jade plants then any other city in norcal. Take the local BART,a type of monorail,in June..and the view of the big subtropicals in bloom and with NIP and Washys is sort of soucal like...except for the huge Redwoods we have all over too-lol.
I have been to soucal once as an adult..so,I know that down there,up close is where the difference shows. The big deep green Ficus lyrata by a taco shop in Culver City-or was it Santa Monica?- stands out.

Yep Jim,I think you just cant deny the climate is now what it is. Urban growth- the bay area is millions more then 30 years ago,or GW..its milder,warmer a bit. And people plant to suit them. I notice that the city tries to stick to natives...and then can't resist the Bird of Paradise,the Agave attenuata's and even Brachychiton's. Why ignore world flora?
I see the Bay Bridge is adding $10million in CIDP. And,they naturalize.