Ptychosperma waitianum

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by Moose, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Newly emergent red leaf

Ptychosperma waitianum 1.JPG Ptychosperma waitianum 2.JPG Ptychosperma waitianum 3.JPG

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Nice MooseMan - definitely one of the nicer Ptychospermas. I might add that there was a lot of confusion in prior years about the true ID of this palm, and it was often confused with P. burretianum.

3. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Ron, nice pics. Definitely one of my favorite Ptychosperma. They work very well with my space limitations down here in the Keys. These newly flushed leaves really make a statement. I always tell people to keep their patience hat on with this species though, they are quite slow growing. Dean, I thought that P. burretianum was more of a solitary or less clumping palm, kind of like Dypsis pembana is to Dypsis cabadae.

4. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Darn,
    I know I answered this earlier, but I must have got sidetracked and forgot to click "Post Reply."

Tim,
    I can't remember which one is less clumping, but I do know that one of them was stated as solitary for quite some time in one of the books. This caused a lot of confusion. I think it wa P. burretianum that is less clumping. And if you do see them side by side there is a difference in the crownshaft area if you know what to look for. I think P. burretianum has more black fuzz. But both exhibit that nice new red leaf and are great palms.