Pseudophoenix Planter - The Reveal

MattyB

22/03/08
After many years in gopher/rabbit cages I finally cut them off. From L to R: Pseodophoenix sargentii, P. ekmanii, P. vinifera.
20141109_141503.jpg 20141109_141513.jpg 20141109_141521.jpg 20141109_141532.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! Your buccaneer is a fatty compared to mine. Do gophers leave palms alone after a certain age? I've followed your progress over on IPS for years. I just hang here these days cuz I can talk about my Poopsie mcguillicutty without offending anyone.

Unfotunately, I have heard of some fairly good sized palms becoming snacks for gophers. I hope they leave those guys alone because they are looking like they are enjoying Spring Valley.

Matty - Geoff had many good things to say about your place - you definitely got yourself a prime zone challenging property.

And I'll fix that Poopsie glitch soon. It also happens at some other funny places, like when discussing :Spammers.

just because i always have to ask, how fast is that ekmanii growing? i still need to pick me up one or a few. i bought a few sargentii navasana from FL a bit over a year ago and planted the larger 7gal one and it's barely growing and still only holding 4 fronds, it did get quite a bit of root disturbance but hopefully it'll kick into gear next year. one i potted in a 5gal pot is already holding 5 fronds with a spear growing and was pushing 2 spears at a time ... even my 2gal ones are pushing spears one right after the other

About how many is many? They look great,plenty of frondage. I luvs the blue trunk they get or can get. I've only seen pics of them from Florida.
Matty, have you heard of gophers taking out mango trees/saplings?

Kenny,
The P. ekmanii grows about 1 leaf every two years.

Stan,
I haven't heard of a gopher specifically eating a mango, but there's not much that they won't eat. Maybe a Euphorbia, or Ricinus.

Kenny,
The P. ekmanii grows about 1 leaf every two years.

Stan,
I haven't heard of a gopher specifically eating a mango, but there's not much that they won't eat. Maybe a Euphorbia, or Ricinus.
Thanks, i really like the Pseudophoenix genus, but they're sooooooo slow .... my Pseudophoenix planter is going to be right up by the sidewalk, there's a Brahea 'super silver' there as well but i'm going to put a bunch of broms in that area for ground cover and they should really pop

Licuala, really? Is this in general, or just to combat Hawaii acid soil? I've seen you guys do this but I don't remember reading that they come from or prefer calcareous soils. I have a Lanonia that is just hurting in the pot and I wonder if it's too acidic?

I can't tell you too much about the Licuala, but I heard that from some of the Aussies. And the Joey is an ancient relative of Licuala, so it made sense to me. But Licuala is such a large genus, I bet it is somewhat specific. I have heard about the Joeys from several sources.

My Lanonias are doing fairly well - and I have not done anything at all to the soil which is acid enough to turn Hydrangeas blue.

Don't forget to add some broken up concrete and/or dolomite lime to the soil. Those Brahea and Pseudophoenix seem to appreciate it.

i keep forgetting to do something like this. time to go to my neighbors place that just had a wall and footings removed, the planter area is surrounded by alot of concrete though so that might help

well, if you forget to put the broken up concrete in the hole when planting, the dolomite lime is cheap and very easy to apply the powder and wash in with water. It seems safe and easy and I've never had any problems even pouring many handfulls around the base of palms.

Damn Matt, that is sweet you got the PE to that stage. I opened mine up to the sun way to fast. I should have waited like you.

Some Licuala like Dolomitic lime. Ramsyii for example. That and K.

Damn Matt, that is sweet you got the PE to that stage. I opened mine up to the sun way to fast. I should have waited like you.

And doing that and he's what? a teenager?. That includes his whole palm nirvana.