Problems and Update on Dictyocaryum lamarkianum

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
One of my favs, and one most people comment on when they come by is the Dictyocaryum. And as mentioned in another thread, I have generally let these be and let be, even when I see a problem developing. Here's two pics from a year ago, and two pics as this one individual is now.

It started getting this sap weeping out about 6 month ago, and I thought the worst - a systemic fungal infection I have seen on cocopalms over here. But they are generally infected through injury, and this just didn't seem to be that. I constantly checked for insects, because it looks like some sort of boring insect. But I never saw a thing.

Jeff Marcus visited the other day and opined that it was something boring in as well. So I guess that is better than fungus, and I have started treating with a strong dose of Malathion.

If anyone else has any experience with anything similar, I would appreciate the feedback. As you can see, the growth of the palm hasn't been affected. But the other two I have also show the same damage, although not as bad.

Attachments

• Set09Enhancer3from__104NP.jpg
    Set09Enhancer3from__104NP.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Set02Enhancer3from__125NP.jpg
    Set02Enhancer3from__125NP.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 218
Dean, Malathion kills by contact and is not a systemic insecticide. Why not hit it with a dose of fungicide and insecticide that are both systemic? Got Cleary's there? I try to avoid using insecticide systemics outside, but when need to, it fixes the problem - and fast. In the greenhouse I have used Bayer (Imidacloprid) to eradicate a serious mealy bug infestation I had on my plants. Nothing would kill them. Not even Malathion was doing the trick. Watered Bayer into my pots, two days later, pest free. What do you have to lose here?

Len,

I hear you. I just didn't want to make matters worse. And find out I used something I shouldn't have. I was using the Malathion as a soil drench as well, thinking what ever was after the palm would probably be coming up from the soil. But I do have some granular Imidacloprid that I used on some other large palms and it didn't do any harm. I think I'll give it a go. I need to use it on something.

Jeff M wanted me to use that stuff for fleas. The active ingredient in Sevin. I forgot what it is. But I don't even think it's labeled for plants. But he said he has used it for termites without hurting the plant. But like I said, I would hate to kill the plant while trying to save it.

Termidor. Used in Frontline. I use Termidor twice a year to help control the Argentine Ants.