272 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3738.jpg
    IMG_3738.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3743.jpg
    IMG_3743.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 151
Anna -
Most of the solitary Veitchias do reasonably well in my yard and at the Kopsick Palm Arboretum. I've got a V. montgomeryana and an unknown here. Do you have a copy of:
An Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms , 2nd edition by Riffle, Craft and Zona. Well worth the money.

Of course, the return of a severe freeze would wipe out Veitchias all the way down to Ft. Myers along the coast and further south inland. I have to add a dose of reality here. Veitchia is a tropical palm that can be only be grown reliably on a latitude line south of Lake Okeechobee. Anything north of that can be wiped out any given winter. That said, you could plant one today and enjoy it for 20 years. There's always a gamble when you push the envelope.

Thanks, Phil and Ray. Phil, I do have the book, but it's the first edition. I find it's pretty conservative with zone recommendations, so I do try to ask others around me that grow that species also. The book says Zone 10b-11, but it seems to say that for most species. Ray, we have all been there that one winter that takes our precious favorite plants with one or two blows. Let's hope we don't get one of those soon. It's always a gamble, but you only live once and you have to try. Sometimes it works.

Of course, the return of a severe freeze would wipe out Veitchias all the way down to Ft. Myers along the coast and further south inland. I have to add a dose of reality here. Veitchia is a tropical palm that can be only be grown reliably on a latitude line south of Lake Okeechobee. Anything north of that can be wiped out any given winter. That said, you could plant one today and enjoy it for 20 years. There's always a gamble when you push the envelope.

Ray - 20 years seems about right. These are pretty hardy palms relative to their "tropical" requirements. They are pretty fast and recover rather quickly from a harsh winter. At the twenty year mark, they have pushed themselves above the canopy or wind breaking protection. Exposing the meristem up so high to frost and sub freezing temps can do them in. They are truly beautiful palms, they just happen to be common. If they were rare, they would fetch handsome prices. Fortunately being readily available makes them reasonably priced. :)

Anna, those are in full sun for the last 4+ years and have gotten a little fatter, I have some in heavy shade and they are a little slimmer

Attachments

• IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 116
With the anticipation of the rainforest collection sale Oct 4,5,6,
I dug up some old philodendrons and 2 more to come out, made some room for both palms and crotons added some more irrigation I know what im getting and even digging holes tomorrow, Im ready

Attachments

• IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 127
Hello Andy...thanks again for sharing these beautiful fotos of your tropical garden. This is my second visit and this time I clicked on every foto in order to better appreciate your collection...WOW, what a bunch of work, time and $$$ you have invested. "A LABOR OF LOVE" I'm sure, I congratulate you sir! :)