Potting Mix

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Marie Nock, Nov 17, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

As I was repotting my newly acquired goodies from yesterday's tour, I noticed how different our potting mixers are. I had plants from six different individuals ( 4 from the auction and 2 from trades) and all the soils varied. Are you willing to share your soil mix formulas?

Ours is 1/3 Canadian peat, 1/3 perlite and 1/3 pine bark soil conditioner.

2. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

This could be Pandora's surprise; 1 30 lbs. bag commercial mix, 2 10 gals. Lambert Can. Sphagnum, 3 2 gals. Perlite, 4 2 gals. Vermiculite, I mix this in an empty Lambert bag and keep adding parts as needed until I run out of the Lambert Can. Sphagnum. One request please I lost the name tag on this little baby from the auction HELP.:eek::eek:

Attached Files:

3. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

2 parts pine fines to 1 part potting soil mix from Bushel Stop. No Perlite. Perlite is evil. It never disappears from the soil. Bushel Stop's potting mix is top soil, sand, and crushed pine.

4. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Miracle Grow Potting Mix - bit expensive but saves storage space and plants seem to like it.

5. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

I make different blends for specific types of plants, and have changed things up along the way. Lately for crotons I have been using the Vigro organic potting mix 1.5 cu ft bag mixed with the B.G.I. potting mix 1 cu ft bag. The B.G.I. stuff seems to be pretty heavy in the pine content, and is nice and light. I also always add silica sand, worm castings and mycorhizals to the blend. So far, so good. I used to purchase the Miracle-Gro mix, but I found it to be very inconsistent for some time and wasn't happy with the product anymore.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I mix my own. 1 part peat moss, 4 parts of composted mulch (I got a source, stuff is 3 years old and really broke down), 1 part perlite or screening sand, 1 part composted oak leaves.

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member