1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me ID these

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by junglegal, Feb 7, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Perhaps Baron Le Compte? 1st & 3rd pic are same plant.

4th pic is a cutting I got last fall but I forgot from where. :confused:
    The older leaves were cut when I got it but they are broad leaf.

Attached Files:

2. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

#1 and #3 could be Ethyl Craig. In Brown's first book he says tha Ethyl Criag is the most pointed leaf croton.

#2 could be William Craig. You'll need to see how the new leaves color up.

3. junglegal

Marie,
    Thank you! I think you are right about Ethyl Craig. Looking at the wiki pics, I can see the similarities now. I had a 10 gal William Craig in 06 but lost it over that winter. I sure hope you are right about William because I think it's a stunner.

Who were/are Ethyl and William Craig? I'd love to capture that factoid in WIKI.

4. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

A little info. I pulled up. The William Craig croton was not developed by W.C.(of the Craig nursery)himself, but by a gentle named John Matthew of Miami. Mr. Craig made numerous trips to Miami and was well liked by the croton growers of that time. How's that Bren?:)
    Jeff

5. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

My guess is that they were part of the Robert Craig family from Philadelphia who imported a collection of crotons from Europe and then developed a lot of new crotons way back in the mid-nineteenth century....
    I'll see if I can dig up a few references...
    Also, I think the correct spelling is probably Ethel, as that is how the name was spelled for many many years...
    Ethyl refers to a group of chemicals...

6. junglegal

Thank you Jeff. I added that info to the WIKI. Hopefully Crotonologist can dig up some additional info too.