Please help me ID these

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
Perhaps Baron Le Compte? 1st & 3rd pic are same plant.

4th pic is a cutting I got last fall but I forgot from where. :confused:
The older leaves were cut when I got it but they are broad leaf.

Attachments

• baron.jpg
    baron.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 105
  • baron1.jpg
    baron1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 108
  • baron2.jpg
    baron2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 89
  • noid.jpg
    noid.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 106
#1 and #3 could be Ethyl Craig. In Brown's first book he says tha Ethyl Criag is the most pointed leaf croton.

#2 could be William Craig. You'll need to see how the new leaves color up.

Marie,
Thank you! I think you are right about Ethyl Craig. Looking at the wiki pics, I can see the similarities now. I had a 10 gal William Craig in 06 but lost it over that winter. I sure hope you are right about William because I think it's a stunner.

Who were/are Ethyl and William Craig? I'd love to capture that factoid in WIKI.

Marie,
Thank you! I think you are right about Ethyl Craig. Looking at the wiki pics, I can see the similarities now. I had a 10 gal William Craig in 06 but lost it over that winter. I sure hope you are right about William because I think it's a stunner.

A little info. I pulled up. The William Craig croton was not developed by W.C.(of the Craig nursery)himself, but by a gentle named John Matthew of Miami. Mr. Craig made numerous trips to Miami and was well liked by the croton growers of that time. How's that Bren?:)
Jeff

My guess is that they were part of the Robert Craig family from Philadelphia who imported a collection of crotons from Europe and then developed a lot of new crotons way back in the mid-nineteenth century....
I'll see if I can dig up a few references...
Also, I think the correct spelling is probably Ethel, as that is how the name was spelled for many many years...
Ethyl refers to a group of chemicals...