Planted 4 Today

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Aug 22, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Got motivated and planted 4 crotons today. That may not sound like alot but it is a major undertaking with all my hard limestone I gotta chip out of the holes. Two not only had limestone but masses of palm roots to deal with. A labor of love.
    In the ground now!
    Playboy - from a 10 gallon container
    Mosaic - also in a 10 gallon container
    Faye Miller - from a three gallon
    Pam Kiefert - Yeah! I finally got her in the ground.

2. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Those are some great varieties, especially the Playboy. And from a 10 gallon pot? Jeeeez, how big was the plant?

3. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

"Yep, I dug a hole & now Pam's in the ground" It just doesn't sound right:rolleyes:

4. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

Did she put up a good fight?

5. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Hi Moose...good news about the 4 CROTONS you planted. Where are the FOTOS :confused::confused::confused:

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

A three foot fatty :eek:

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

At least I fed her. :rolleyes:

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Actually she kinda resigned herself to the fact that I was determined. :rolleyes:

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Playboy 1.JPG Playboy 2.JPG Playboy 3.JPG
    Thanks Jeff. As I was showing Pam (the wife not the croton) the new installations yesterday, I was thinking man these are some cool looking plants.

Here is the Playboy with its nice big leaves.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

After chipping out alot of rock - I hit a nice pocket of sand between two boulders.

Attached Files:

11. Savannah

Savannah New Member

Ron,
    Those are really nice!

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Here is the rock I had to chip out. The third photo is the 10 gallon container that the Playboy was in.

Attached Files:

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Playboy After Dark 1.JPG Playboy After Dark 2.JPG I was digging another hole and the sun was setting so ... a couple of "Playboy After Dark" ;)

14. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Hey Savannah! Thank you for your compliment. Everyone, this is Savannah (screen name). She was checking out some croton photos on the IPS forum and I directed her to our forum. She lives in Tampa and loves crotons!

Welcome Savannah!!! :D

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Faye Miller 1.JPG Faye Miller 2.JPG Faye Miller 3.JPG This is Faye Miller. A relatively slow cultivar that picked up some size this summer.

16. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Faye Miller N.JPG Faye Miller in the shadows as the sun was going down

17. Savannah

Savannah New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm happy to be a member here. :D
    I look forward to building a nice collection of crotons starting next spring.

18. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

I just love the sexy centerfold

19. donroberth

Nice fotos Moose...thanks for posting.:)

20. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Robertico, how about more of your collected photos for the wiki?;)

21. donroberth

Hi Anna...COLUMBIANA coming your way (FORUM) this weekend...:eek:

22. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to get my Playboy cutting to root. I'm envious.:p

23. Jeff Searle

Welcome Savannah! Hope to see some of your pictures of your garden someday.

24. Jeff Searle

Wow Ron, that's one nice looking AND big Playboy. It took me 2 years to get my that size. That's one nice addition to anyone's yard!

25. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

The Playboy came to me as a rooted cutting in a 4" container from Keith. I gotta say everything I get from Keith just seems to do extremely well. You may want to PM him and learn his technique for Playboy. ;)

26. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Mosaic 1.JPG Mosaic 2.JPG Mosaic 3.JPG Mosaic 4.jpg Hey guys and gals - Pam actually looked at this thread - she never looks at this forum! I was cracking up at the "pam in the ground" comments and she wanted to see what was so funny. She loved the humor. I think she likes the crotonhead personalities she has encountered more than the plants.

Here is the Mosiac I got into the ground. It was the other croton I had in a 10 gallon container. What a pain to dig the hole. I follow the old axiom "dig a $5.00 hole for a 50 cent plant. Well it needed to get into the ground since it looked like it was not gonna do much more in the container. Hopefully its gonna get much fatter in mother earth.

27. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Mosiac N.JPG Here is the Mosaic as the sun was setting. Daddy tucked her in to go night-night. She needs her rest so she can start expanding her roots into all that yummy-yummy amended soil with a liberal amount of time released mineral salts added.

This croton came from Randy. He stopped by about three years ago and asked "do you have a Mosaic?" I said I wish I did. He went to the back of his SUV and yoked out this plant in a three gallon container saying: "Now you do". It was a very nice suprise! :)

28. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Pam Kiefert 1.JPG Pam Kiefert 2.jpg Pam Kiefert 3.JPG Spent many an hour contemplating where to put Pam Kiefert in the ground. There never is a perfect spot. Always some limiting factor - too much sun, not enough sun, Mango bombs, Avocado bombs, falling Royal Palm fronds, to close to the fence ...

Decided that she needed to go just west of the Copernicia hospita palm. She will get some direct sun a bit and then strong filtered sun in the late afternoon. On the south side of the garden, the house will be a wind barrier protecting her from the cold winds during cold fronts. She will be getting a fair amount of sun during the winter time as the sun shifts to the south. The winter sun is much less harsh and a shorter duration. I've been moving her around in the container for months. It appears that she can take a fair amount of sun exposure and still maintain good colors.

Pam Kiefert in the ground in the late afternoon.

29. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Ron, she looks so pretty and happy to have her own spot, that I had to take a new photo for the wiki to show her off in this better lighting. Thanks. Keep us posted of her progress.

Ana

30. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Pam at Sunset 1.JPG Pam at Sunset 2.JPG There was a follow-up post of mine that disaapeared into cyberspace. It had a rambling diatribe that no one was gonna read anyway ... :rolleyes:

A 2.5 foot hole was prepared for the Pam Kiefert. Lots of roots were encountered in the top 12 inches of soil. The removed native soil (mostly rock) was sifted so that only rocks of 1" or smaller would be used for planting. 10% composted mulch, 10% of composted oak leaves plus 5% peat moss was thoroughly mixed with the native soil. The bottom of the hole was also lined with composted oak leaf mulch to help with rention of moisture. Hopefully these soil amendments will aid a rapid establishment. Honestly, I was expecting a more substantial root ball when I removed Pam from the container.

Here are a couple of more shots of Pam Kiefert as the sun was dipping below the horizon.

31. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Oh - another big hole is starting. Stay tuned, I'll post what got planted there in another thread ... :p

Attached Files:

32. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Mosiac.jpg Update on Mosiac