"PIXIE" LOOK ALIKE IN MY GARDEN

donroberth

19/07/09
Hello to Pix again… I’m still trying to find a name for my “Pink Spots” and I feel think yours certainly bears a strong resemblance to mine. Please see my following 10 photo essay RE: Your PIXIE post DTD MON24JUL 2017.

P.S. Anyone else that would like to name this NOID for me… please chime in!

01 – Your Pixie (photo taken from The Croton Society Forum).

02 – My “Pink Spots” (for lack of a better name) when I brought this “NOID” home and potted it about 10 yrs. ago.

03 - A couple of Air Layers from my “Pink Spots”.

04 – Now mature at 10 yrs. in my possession and starting to push-out some new growth.

05 – About 4 to 5 months later with its new growth starting to “pink spot and purple-up” (some leaves over 22 inches long).

06 – Close-up photo displaying its purple petioles.

07 – “To my delight”… look what I found in a neighbor’s home in this overgrown garden not 10 minutes from my place where I have driven by dozens of times.

08, 09 & 10 – All photos of the same cultivar in my neighbor’s garden after being cleaned up. The owner told me that the plant was about 15 to 16 years old and had no clue as to its name.

Pix, if your Croton is the same one I have… hang on to your hat because it’s “gonna” morph into one heck of a beauty.

P.S. I agree with Anna that your “Zanzibar” sure looks like Picturatum

Attachments

• 01 PIX'S  'THE PIXIE'.jpg
    01 PIX'S 'THE PIXIE'.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 02 MY CULTIVAR 10 YRS. AGO.jpg
    02 MY CULTIVAR 10 YRS. AGO.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 03 A TWO AIRLAYERS FROM MY 'PINK SPOTS'.JPG
    03 A TWO AIRLAYERS FROM MY 'PINK SPOTS'.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 04 MY CULTIVAR THIS YEAR.JPG
    04 MY CULTIVAR THIS YEAR.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 05 NEW GROWTH MORPHING ITS COLORS.JPG
    05 NEW GROWTH MORPHING ITS COLORS.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 06 CLOSE-UP OF PETIOLES.JPG
    06 CLOSE-UP OF PETIOLES.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 07 NEIGHBORS 'PINK SPOTS'.jpg
    07 NEIGHBORS 'PINK SPOTS'.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 08 NEIGHBORS 'PINK SPOTS'.JPG
    08 NEIGHBORS 'PINK SPOTS'.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 09 NEIGHBORS 'PINK SPOTS'.JPG
    09 NEIGHBORS 'PINK SPOTS'.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 10 CLOSE-UP OF NEIGHBORS 'PINK SPOTS'.jpg
    10 CLOSE-UP OF NEIGHBORS 'PINK SPOTS'.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 182
Your "Pixie" is so beautiful, Robertico! Thank you for sharing. I should try mine plant in the morning sun. Is it too late to put an air layer now?

IMG_3979.JPG IMG_4520.JPG

Hi Pix,

Thx for your answer-back…

Photo # 01: Pixie foto in your latest post

Photo # 02: My air-layer as of today

As to your question... “Is it too late to take an air layer now?” I would refer this query to your local Florida Croton Enthusiasts on this Forum that have more experience with the seasons and conditions in your area.

I’m not a learned Botanist, just a "Crazy Croton Aficionado” that lives in Costa Rica at an altitude of 1,500 meters above sea level with a totally different environment. Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress with your beloved PIXIE :) !!!

Attachments

• Photo 01.JPG
    Photo 01.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Photo 02.JPG
    Photo 02.JPG
    357.6 KB · Views: 162
Hello, the plant called Pixie is a volunteer from my garden about four years old. When Pixie (the person) first came on line I made an airlayer and gave it to her just as a welcome to the insanity called the Croton bug. Any resemblance to your plant is totally the norm for croton collectors. Best wishes to all! I have lots of Volunteers. We can call this one Robertico you will agree to that.
image.jpg

Hello, the plant called Pixie is a volunteer from my garden about four years old. When Pixie (the person) first came on line I made an airlayer and gave it to her just as a welcome to the insanity called the Croton bug. Any resemblance to your plant is totally the norm for croton collectors. Best wishes to all! I have lots of Volunteers. We can call this one Robertico you will agree to that.View attachment 36283
Now everyone will be lining up to get a Robertico. ;)

Hi Pix,

Thx for your answer-back…

Photo # 01: Pixie foto in your latest post

Photo # 02: My air-layer as of today

As to your question... “Is it too late to take an air layer now?” I would refer this query to your local Florida Croton Enthusiasts on this Forum that have more experience with the seasons and conditions in your area.

I’m not a learned Botanist, just a "Crazy Croton Aficionado” that lives in Costa Rica at an altitude of 1,500 meters above sea level with a totally different environment. Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress with your beloved PIXIE :) !!!
When will we be having a tour and auction in your gardens. Well there may be some issues bringing plants in and out of Costa Rica, but I have loved my previous visits to the country (always with school groups so a bit different).