Pink

annafl

Esteemed Member
In a recent post by Ron, he discussed a couple of the pink cultivars in his garden. I find I really like pink crotons and need to get ideas of other cultivars I don't have. If you have any nice pink cultivars in your garden, could you show them? Let's make this the pink thread. I'll start with my Rheedii. I got this from Marie a year or a year and a half ago and it has grown and done well. I thought it looked pretty and bright this early morning.

DSC_0936.JPG

Reactions: Pix
Rheedii - This is another old croton of uncertain origin but is very popular in India. Named for Hendrik Adriaan van Rheede, a naturalist and Governor of Dutch Malabar. He employed 25 people for his book "HortusMalabaricus", describing 740 plants of that region. The Gardener’s Chronicle (London) describes this variety in 1902. Its leaves are large showing exhibiting rose and vibrant pink colors.
Rheedii 1.png
Rheedii 2.png

This is a fabulous cultivar. With age it can develop a pretty stout trunk and is relatively cold hardy for a croton. This croton should be planted everywhere in my opinion!

Mrs. Iceton - This croton is of a Belgium origination. Named eyeston, the current name has been “Americanized”. A popular croton offered in some nurseries using the trade name, Icetone. This is a perfect croton for a shady area providing lots of pastel pinks.

Mrs. Iceton 1.png
Mrs. Iceton 2.png

Reactions: Pix
Duncan Macaw - An old cultivar created in the Robert Craig Nursery prior to the onset of World War One. Duncan Macaw was one of Mr. Craig’s nursery foreman. It is bewildering to me as to why this fabulous looking croton was not planted everywhere in South Florida during the croton hey day. Still uncommon, many collectors are sharing this cultivar and its slowly getting introduced to more and more Florida gardens.

Duncan Macaw.png

Red Quill - Not as difficult to locate as in the past, this cultivar is getting introduced into more and more gardens. A very well grown one won best croton at our show last year. A major positive is that it maintains good color throughout the year. An area with half a day of shading would be a perfect place for this variety.

Red Quill.png

Ron great pictures good information but in my opinion you need to credit the source or the literary police are going to come down and give you a very strong talking to.

Ha ha ha, Lamar:p. Ron, those are real beauties. I have lots of Mrs. Icetons in my garden growing in clusters in shady areas. I love this croton. I also love Stain Glass. I think of Duncan Macaw as red, though. It is a beautiful croton. I'm going outside to look for more pinks.

Caribbean Star and Franklin Roosevelt are great pink colored Crotons.
Img_6664.jpg
Img_6665.jpg

Nice crotons, Scott. The Caribbean Star is a really pretty color.

Hey, Ron, where did you get your historical tidbits? Is this from the info sheets you sent Tim for The Audubon House? If so, I'd love to have a copy of that. Please?

Alright, a few more pinks after a nice, gentle 10 minute rain this early morning. A number of crotons in my yard that are supposed to be pink are not there yet. I will have to post them in a month or two when the yellows turn. I'd love to see more pink crotons from everyone!

Attachments

• Thea-Ana.jpg
    Thea-Ana.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Bravo-Ana.jpg
    Bravo-Ana.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Claude Lorraine-Ana.JPG
    Claude Lorraine-Ana.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Nervia-Ana.JPG
    Nervia-Ana.JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Ron, I think I've seen this plant before, but I can't remember what it was. I mean the beautiful, unusual one in post #14.

David, beautiful pinks! I'm going to try to name them, but if I'm wrong, please correct me. General MacArthur, ? great color, Helen Edge, Rheedii, Rudy Bachmann. How did I do? David, you should start your own landscape thread in the subforum. You'd have so many beautiful group shots!

I love General MacArthur, but for me, it is a leggy, wimpy plant. I have no more pinks to show right now. I wish others would post more pinks!

Last edited:
Ron, I think I've seen this plant before, but I can't remember what it was. I mean the beautiful, unusual one in post #14.

Krakatoa from the last Extravaganza. ;) Ah, one you passed over :oops:

David, beautiful pinks! I'm going to try to name them, but if I'm wrong, please correct me. General MacArthur, ? great color, Helen Edge, Rheedii, Rudy Bachmann. How did I do? David, you should start your own landscape thread in the subforum. You'd have so many beautiful group shots!

I love General MacArthur, but for me, it is a leggy, wimpy plant. I have no more pinks to show right now. I wish others would post more pinks!

1-2 GenMac 3-NOID 4 Delores 5-6 Rheedii 7-8 Rudy B

That Krakatoa is awesome, Ron. You're right, if I would have seen it at the sale I would have snatched it right away. Gotta be more observant next time!

David, thanks for the names. Missed that Dolores.

Marnie, That Carribean Star is gorgeous!!! The Madam Fernand Kohl is stunning also! You've gotta show us more of your crotons. I bet you could start a great thread of your 'landscape with crotons' in the subforum. Please stick around. You are obviously a great grower.

I am loving this thread. Pink, pink pink. More pink.:FastGrow

Wow, thanks, Ron. Nice pinks on that Glen Roof. Gorgeous Tortoise Shell, Kurt. That's another one I have that I probably need to replace. David, that's a beautiful pink-laden Nestor? I don't see a photo in post #29. Great pink stuff.

Oh, now I see the photo in #29- Pink Eburneum? I also see more photos in #30. Is the one below Nestor a Nervia or an ADF? It's gorgeous!

Ron, that Pink Lei and Cameo are to die for! Great pinks!

Don't forget the names. I see some I don't know and others may not know them as well. Thanks so much for all the pinks! I see some I'm going to put on my list. More pink!

Oh, now I see the photo in #29- Pink Eburneum? I also see more photos in #30. Is the one below Nestor a Nervia or an ADF? It's gorgeous!

Ron, that Pink Lei and Cameo are to die for! Great pinks!

Don't forget the names. I see some I don't know and others may not know them as well. Thanks so much for all the pinks! I see some I'm going to put on my list. More pink!
Yes Pink Eburneum .....Fantasy