1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Pink Kentucky?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by fawnridge, Aug 6, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Or something else. The leaf is the same shape as Kentucky, but after reading the replies in the "Pink" thread, perhaps this is something else:

Attached Files:

2. fawnridge

Here are two rooted cuttings of Kentucky from the one already in the ground. These were in deep shade, hence the mostly green color.

Attached Files:

3. fawnridge

By the way, does anyone recognize the plant with the white and green leaves in the upper left of the first photo? I got this from Jesse Durko around 10 years ago. It was the last one he had and he called it "Cat's Claw".

4. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Here's a few with nice pinks - good old Gen MacArthur in shade. This does not look much like the leaves on the parent plant which are in much more sun. The last pic is Kentucky with hints of fresh pink but should turn orange later on.

Attached Files:

5. Phil Stager

...and here's a Kentucky with some different shades of pink that should turn brilliant orange.

Attached Files:

6. fawnridge

So Phil, what do you think my pink one is?

7. Phil Stager

not a clue right now but it is not Kentucky -

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ricky - there are three different leaf shapes there and a myraid of coloration going on there as well. Not to mention we have seen some crotons do some weird things since the cold winter we had.

With these variables in mind, you may find it difficult to get someone to commit to an I.D. Let it keep going and once you get some consistent shapes and color patterns, perhaps an I.D. can be made.

If I was forced to make an I.D. from your pictures, I would guess The Clown because it looks like it is morphing. I got to give you credit, you defintely find some unique and unusual plants. :)

Moose :cool:

9. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

A slight Gen MacArthur appearance. There's also another Coppinger hybrid with big pink/red semi oak leaves.