Pinching back

Pinching new growth is an ancient horticultural technique to encourage new growth and a bushier plant. Just don't do it on monocots like palms. I believe that this is where the term 'green thumb' originated, i.e., from the chlorophyl in the pinched plant - except for our crotons whcih, as Ricky pointed out, will give you permanent stains in any clothing the croton juice touches.

Thank you! Would clipping work as well? I hardly have a pair of shorts without staining from bananas. I did not know that about crotons. And I know not to lick my fingers off as a substitute lol.

almost any sharp cutting instrument from fingernails, pruning shears, scissors, etc; avoid cutting torches, lasers, and other high tech stuff. All one does is remove the growing tip of a branch.

Here we go with another photo tutorial:
1. Find branch or stem that would look better with multiple heads of leaves instead of one. Here we have a Geisha Girl about 18" tall and getting a bit leggy. Note the new growth.
2. Grasp new growth firmly between thumb nail and another finger nail.
3. Squeeze
4. Off it comes. Now wait a month or two for, hopefully, several points of new growth.

Remind me in a month or so to post another pic to see what happened.

Attachments

• DSCN3069.jpg
    DSCN3069.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN3070.jpg
    DSCN3070.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN3071.jpg
    DSCN3071.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN3072.jpg
    DSCN3072.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 113
Croton mavens, now is the time of year to make you pinchings and or trmmimgs to shape your plants. The rains will be here in June so you budding new growth will explode. :)