Pie Crust Growth

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I planted 3, 1 gal. 8" tall Pie Crust Crotons out in late June. The plants are almost 3' tall now and still pushing new growth. These look to be a very fast grower. I want to plant a few Crotons along the 6' wood fence that backs up to my soon to be Croton Garden. Will Pie Crust fit the need for blocking the fence fast? The area gets sun most of the day now.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 174
Wow Scott, that growth rate is impressive. :eek: What are you feeding it? I got mine in early July and have not seen that kind of growth rate. Was not aware that this cultivar was such a fast grower. I have mine in a three gallon container still in shade. Perhaps I need more sun. Worried that sun may bleach out color. It did get some scale that had to be erradicated, that may have stunted its growth. It has alot of new growth but nothing compared to yours. :cool:

Scott,

They look great. They are one of the faster growers of the group and will tolerate alot of sun.

Ron and Jeff, This one was planted in a shady area and has also grown fast but not as fast as the other two, and has lost the nice colors. This one will be moved to a sunny spot.They had the time release stuff in the pot when I purchased them so I have done no feeding .

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for the information on this cultivar. I kept increasing the sun exposer over the last few weeks and it definitely colored up and picked up its growth rate. It made it in the ground today. Glad I reviewd this thread as I repositioned it in the garden to allow for its fast rate of growth. Should be a biggun by next summer. :rolleyes:

Ron, :)

Update on Pie Crust: This was the wimp of my Crotons. Three plants, all planted in protected areas of the garden. The Impatiens growing in this area received no damage, and never stopped flowering from the freezes of this past Winter. The Pie Crust Crotons looked good after the freezes showing no damage only to drop leaves weeks afterwards. The plants are now dead.

Scott - mine did the same as yours except it did not cark (Aussie for taking the big dirt nap). It is very beat up and it is very slow in recovering. This is definitely one of the more cold sensitive cultivars. Being an old time cultivar, I thought it would have been tolerant of the cold. I bet it could take cold snaps but not the continued cold stresses many saw this last winter. :(

Best regards, :)

Ron.

Attachments

• happy_moose.jpg
    happy_moose.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 141
Did the Pie Crust take a hit for the growers this Winter? Last year they were being sold in every Garden Center. This year I have not seen one for sale.