Peters Crotons and Cordylines and Valkaria Trop. Gardens

Central Floridave

16/07/09
Picked up some new variety yesterday at the Annual F.I.T. plant sale in Melbourne, Florida.

Some photos:

IMG_7079.jpgIMG_7078.jpgIMG_7076.jpgIMG_7077.jpg

Last two photos are Valkaria Trop.Gardens presentation.

Variety I picked up. Compte de gemaux (spelling?), Fishbone, Rainbow, Picassos P.brush, Luchia cordyline, Graveyard Red cordyline.

oops, first two photos are Valkaria's. I didn't see Cleo there or Dr.Brown, but I asked how they were doing. The helpers said they are doing great. Dr.Brown just had his 98th b-day.

Picked up some new variety yesterday at the Annual F.I.T. plant sale in Melbourne, Florida.

Some photos:

View attachment 18020View attachment 18019View attachment 18018View attachment 18017

Dave - The proper spelling is Compt'e de Germiny. Those are some very nice cultivars you got. Appreciate the photos!

Last two photos are Valkaria Trop.Gardens presentation.

Variety I picked up. Compte de gemaux (spelling?), Fishbone, Rainbow, Picassos P.brush, Luchia cordyline, Graveyard Red cordyline.

Dave - the proper spelling is Compt'e de Germiny. Those are some very nice cultivars you acquired. Picassos Paint Brush needs lots of sun and usually defoliates when it gets real cold. Thanks for posting your photos! :cool:

Thanks. I have Picasso Paintbrush and I keep them in containers and bring them in. I lose them every winter if left outside. Thus, I re-upped on getting another one.

Its cold up here in the frozen tundra of Central Florida today. Good day to do yard work and plant some tropicals....LOL...

I picked a fine time to buy tropical plants!

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
334 AM EST SUN MAR 3 2013

.DISCUSSION...

...WELL BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES CONTINUE TODAY AND TONIGHT...
...NEAR FREEZING TEMPERATURES AND FROST POSSIBLE OVER NORMALLY
COLDER INTERIOR LOCATIONS TONIGHT...

Hello Mr. Picasso Paintbrush, why don't you cozy up next to the fireplace tonight! (luckily I'm near the coast)

NEAR FREEZING
TEMPERATURES WITH FROST DEVELOPMENT WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER NORMALLY
COLDER/WIND SHELTERED INTERIOR LOCATIONS...MAINLY ACROSS OKEECHOBEE
COUNTY AND FAR NORTHERN LAKE AND NW VOLUSIA COUNTIES. HOWEVER MUCH
OF THE REST OF THE AREA WILL SEE LOWS IN THE MID TO UPPER 30S WITH
PATCHY FROST AWAY FROM THE COAST. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE UPPER 20S
TO LOW 30S WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE AREA EARLY MONDAY
MORNING.

My temp at 6am Monday morning was 42F. Over on the mainland it was 32 and everyone got frost. I'm in a good micro-climate!

I'll post some photos sometime this week when I have more time. Been busy lately...which is a good thing! I tucked the newly bought croton in a protected area in my yard. I have to remember to throw some water on them tonight. More cold coming...

IMG_7123.jpgIMG_7125.jpgIMG_7126.jpgIMG_7128.jpg

The live oaks just went through a shedding period. I've got about 3 to 4 inch mulch layer of spent oak flower for some free natural mulch! I'm sure croton like that!

You can see on the first photo above that the pritchardia is 'knee-deep' in oak mulch.This is after I washed it off with the hose. EVERYTHING was covered in oak flower pollen and now spent flowers the past couple weeks. I have a pretty good driveway and after I swept it I had about 5 wheel barrows full of spent oak flower. Not leaf, just dead flowers. That has to acidify my soil pretty good.

Here is what my picasso's paintbrush looks like every winter. I moved this one on the back porch for this past wicked cold spell. Its still pretty cold out there. Been in the upper 40'sF in the morning. Warms up to barely 70F. I'm sure this will bounce back. Its been a relatively warm winter for me. Spring is right around the corner!

IMG_7132.jpg