Perfect Example of Legit

Croton Guru

Banned
15/12/10
Botanical classification: Codiaeum variegatum.
Variety denomination: ‘Croton Zulu’.

This plant patent application claims foreign priority based on Australian Plant Breeder's Rights application No. 2000/126 filed May 2, 2000.

The present invention comprises a new and distinct cultivar of Codiaeum variegatum which is named ‘Croton Zulu’. Its market class is that of potted plants or bulbs. Codiaeum variegatum ‘Croton Zulu’ is intended for use in landscaping, and as a decorative potted plant.

DESCRIPTION OF PRIOR ART
‘Croton Zulu’ was discovered as a sport of Codiaeum ‘Mora’ in March, 1998 in a greenhouse in Wellington Point, Queensland, Australia. Codiaeum ‘Mora’ has a bushy growth habit forming a rounded plant, and is distinguished from Codiaeum ‘Mora’ by much improved leaf variegation and color. ‘Croton Zulu’ is distinguished from other Codiaeum in general by its bushy growth habit forming a rounded plant, and unique uneven variegation which begins yellow and matures to red and orange colors.

‘Croton Zulu’ was discovered by Gary R. Spink, 5 Grenaid Court, Wellington Point, Queensland, Australia. ‘Croton Zulu’ is asexually propagated by cuttings, and has been grown and propagated through numerous generations (at least 6) since March, 1998. During this time the plants as asexually reproduced have remained true to type.

Zulu Not in the Book but it now has a reference point. :D

so what if I have this same sport and I have been calling it a different name since 1990?????? so much for the patent.

Well if you have, then your 100% wrong maybe you need to update your names in your collection.

Maybe half are wrong, Dont feel bad tho. Some people buy swamp land if one tells them its for sale :D

Anyways a good collector does his or her homework before they make a the error of saying this is this when actually its that.

Met a man today in landscape and very knowledgeable with crotons showed me some nice new croton hybrids and was working threw the process of getting patents on them for names before they were able to be sold was interesting. have respect for his ethics

Met a man today in landscape and very knowledgeable with crotons showed me some nice new croton hybrids and was working threw the process of getting patents on them for names before they were able to be sold was interesting. have respect for his ethics

Great, Would make Croton Collecting much better than buying a plant called one thing and later finding out its something else. Least theres a Reference to go by.

I'm no lawyer, and correct me if I'm (thinking) wrong, but for a company to put a patent name on a croton, that only gives them the right that no other person or company can grow this croton under the same name. Big whooopee. He won't own the croton, just the right to use the name he patent. But 10 other nurseries can come along and call it what they want, because nobody "ownes" the rights to this plant. And, is there any difference from a patented name and a registered name? I'm sure there are, but I don't know.
Any lawyers out there?

I'm no lawyer, and correct me if I'm (thinking) wrong, but for a company to put a patent name on a croton, that only gives them the right that no other person or company can grow this croton under the same name. Big whooopee. He won't own the croton, just the right to use the name he patent. But 10 other nurseries can come along and call it what they want, because nobody "ownes" the rights to this plant. And, is there any difference from a patented name and a registered name? I'm sure there are, but I don't know.
Any lawyers out there?

Hmm thinking that way I suppose most of your palms are wrongly named also. Im no Lawyer either but Patented, Registered names is sure a Correct start in the Right direction.

Wild Colorfulful Imaginations is new way to me for idenification. lol to funny.

If I read the initial post correctly, this is an Australian patent. I have no idea if Australian patents are recognized in the U.S. under international law. However, as previously discussed, a patent is not worth anything unless you can enforce it.

The good thing about these patent applications is that they provide some history of who found the sport or at least who was the first to patent it - not necessarily the same thing.

If I read the initial post correctly, this is an Australian patent. I have no idea if Australian patents are recognized in the U.S. under international law. However, as previously discussed, a patent is not worth anything unless you can enforce it.

The good thing about these patent applications is that they provide some history of who found the sport or at least who was the first to patent it - not necessarily the same thing.

Yes, But at least there is some shred of a Reference to follow.

You must read the whole post Mr. "Guru" If I claim to have had the same sport since 1990. and the patent claims to have it since 1998, well then so much for the patent. Especially since most sports reoccur and are not a one time thing like a seedling.
Means patent would be 100% wrong.

again you are 100% wrong.

You must read the whole post Mr. "Guru" If I claim to have had the same sport since 1990. and the patent claims to have it since 1998, well then so much for the patent. Especially since most sports reoccur and are not a one time thing like a seedling.
Means patent would be 100% wrong.

again you are 100% wrong.

Maybe so I may be wrong, and Maybe you have a collection full of wrongly named plants as well? Who knows about Crotons there names change daily.
Take it from someone whos been around the block for many years.

I am proud to say that any croton in my collection that has a name is 100% correct. If the people that I have bought it from did not have a name on it and I could not ID it, or if it was something I found and can not put a deffinite name on it. it remains un-named until others see it.

You still obviously do not understand the concept of a patent on a plant. So your saying even if it isnt my original plant, but it isnt patented, I can put a name on it and patent it, and its kosher???
you may have been into crotons for a few years, but you have also been out for a few. And your vision on the names is highly skewed.

I am proud to say that any croton in my collection that has a name is 100% correct. If the people that I have bought it from did not have a name on it and I could not ID it, or if it was something I found and can not put a deffinite name on it. it remains un-named until others see it.

You still obviously do not understand the concept of a patent on a plant. So your saying even if it isnt my original plant, but it isnt patented, I can put a name on it and patent it, and its kosher???
you may have been into crotons for a few years, but you have also been out for a few. And your vision on the names is highly skewed.

Im only saying that a Patented plant and a Photographed Published book. Is all part of the process of Legitimizing a un-named Hybrid. I said this many times already, Many nurseries have many names per Plant (Croton). Who is right? Who is wrong? I never claim to be a self Proclaimed Croton IDer. Specially with all the new Hybrids popping up all over the place. Im only suggesting a cure, to the wrongs that are in the Croton world.

Again if someone has a collection of Crotons and there named thats fine, Dont mean there Correct or been legitimized, And I dont take someones word because that dont work.

Another Example is the plant photo i posted which has been called Richard Krukonis? Now in the forum People call it President Regan. The 2 who named it orginally are very well known Collectors and authorities on Crotons, Who do we believe.

"nobody "ownes" the rights to this plant"

concerning that, a long time ago botanical-inc had a nusery in Satellite Beach. They were probably the first to sell bismarcks (at least this far north). I asked the owner why theirs were called 'silver select'. He said they patented the name 'silver select'. However, anyone could sell bismarckia, just not under that name.

"nobody "ownes" the rights to this plant"

concerning that, a long time ago botanical-inc had a nusery in Satellite Beach. They were probably the first to sell bismarcks (at least this far north). I asked the owner why theirs were called 'silver select'. He said they patented the name 'silver select'. However, anyone could sell bismarckia, just not under that name.

Now is it called silver select? If so then its a legit name

silver select was patent by jack miller in the 80s he is not claming to a new species but aname of a select group of bismarks to be more silver than someothers that was his deal to sell bismarks. the latin name is still the same they are all bismarks his claim is his are selected for his nursery to be the most silver of silver when grown from seedlings
Its what we call BRAND recognition when you want a bismark why not get a silver select thus going to botanics wholesale to purchase.
WHATS THEY THING YOU USE TO WIPE YOUR RUNNY NOSE OR BLOW YOUR NOSE ?

most people answer kleenex when in fact its a tissue hope you see what im saying brand recognition... all about SALES
just like real life not every one on this forum would get along if we lived on the same street there would be little clicks and people that you dont like for just know reason
I may not like you, but i will respect listen and try to learn from you if you do know what your talking about