Passing My Test

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I tired I planting Crotons in my garden only to have them drop leaves in the Winter. I now put them through a chill test. Any Crotons purchased in the warm months now must sit in their pots through the chilly months. To pass the test no leaf drop or very little (30% or less) and the plants are then planted in the garden. Here are the first two to go into the ground this year after passing the test with 0% leaf drop. BTW I have no names on these.
IMG_3990.jpgIMG_3991.jpgIMG_3995.jpgIMG_3996.jpg

Scott -
Top two look like Duke of Windsor - quite cold hardy (for a croton). The thin leaf ones do the worst for me over here in St. Pete - e.g. Interuptum (defoliates at 38F); Picasso's Paintbrush (never had one make it through a winter); Spiralis (looking rough right now).

I tired I planting Crotons in my garden only to have them drop leaves in the Winter. I now put them through a chill test. Any Crotons purchased in the warm months now must sit in their pots through the chilly months. To pass the test no leaf drop or very little (30% or less) and the plants are then planted in the garden. Here are the first two to go into the ground this year after passing the test with 0% leaf drop. BTW I have no names on these.

I M O Duke of Windsor. and Irresistible both have been good growers for me. Best not in full sun. I have two or three of both.

Thanks guys!
Phil, Get yourself a P. Paintbrush! I have learned my lesson with P. Paintbrush (My #1 fav Croton). I have it planted in a clay pot sitting on the Lanai. When the cold weather comes it gets pulled up to the backdoor under the roof out of the cold winds.
This has worked for this one for 2 yrs now.​
IMG_4036.jpg