Palms on the Lower Lot

Fouquieria

12/04/08
I don't really post much about palms because I don't have that much to post about. So this is kind of unusual for me.

I live on a really steep hillside. There is one lot down below in the canyon also. This canyon lot was filled in by a developer who went bankrupt about two years ago. So the bottom half of the lot is fairly flat now. Since early last year I've been planting stuff down there.

Everything is of various sizes from little seedlings to 20-gallon pots. On one side it is mostly flowering trees and mostly Tabebuias...15 to be exact...along with a handful of other things. On the front and the southside I finally started planting palm trees. Home Depot had a great sale on Washingtonias and CIDPs this winter so I got three Washies and seven CIDPs...all for 99 cents each. Then I've also been bidding on Sabals on ebay (if I can get them cheap) and a few other places as well. I got a five-gallon Sabal 'Riverside' that osideterry on the Palmtalk board gave me. Around that same time I got a five-gallon S. causiarum. Right now I'm digging a hole for the last palm to go in...a five-gallon S. uresana. Besides those I've planted little seedlings of another S. uresana, a S. rosei, a S. yapa, a S. bermudana, and a S. dominguensis. Also I have a Jubaea chilensis that I got from Gary Le Vine and one of those clumping Chaemerops I believe. Last but not least I have a little tiny seedling of Medemia argun that survived last winter and an attack by a skunk. I germinated that from seed. The other ones didn't survive because of the attack by the damned skunk.

So this last Sabal uresana will be the last thing planted down there and we'll see what develops. I think I'm going to take a pic from a standard spot every six months just to keep a visual history of the development and growth.

For sure Ron,

Take a few pics so we can monitor the growth rate over time. Don't you live somewhere close to MattyB?

Also,
I know you could share a lot of your knowledge about other plants and trees. We are not all palm snobs here. :)

Dean, Matt's house is about a 10 minute walk away over the lower west flank of Lookout Mountain (Dictionary Hill).

I'll see what I can come up with as far as contributions to Palmpedia.