1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Palm ID

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by ScotTi, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I raised this from seed collected from a public palm garden. The seed was on the ground under a Triangle Palm. The leaves are softer than a Triangle and Green. Is this a Triangle hybrid?

Attached Files:

2. bepah

bepah Active Member

Trunk looks like a triangle.....leaves not so much....

3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Definitely has a Triangle parent, but I don't think you weren't asking that. :)

The two questions I would ask are, what are the chances of another flowering Dypsis at the same time, same place. And it looks like this palm is in a fair amount of shade. If so, that could account for the softer leaves and lack of the Triangle "grayer" color.

If I said, "When you hear hoof beats..........." --- would you know what I meant?

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, I do not remember if another Dypsis was in the local palm garden in St Pete (hint) or not. I grew 6 of these from seed and gave the other 5 away.I do not remember who received the others. It also was the fastest grower I believe it is 6 yrs old now. Puts out 3 fronds a year. It is in a noon- sunset sun location. Hoof beats?

5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Hoof Beats --- It's an old Medical Saying pertaining to diagnosis. It goes like this.

"When you hear hoof beats, think horses - not zebras."

Meaning, more often than not, the answer to a diagnosis (ID) is the most obvious one - not the more exotic. At least that should be the first suspicion, and until that is ruled out the exotic explanations are just that - exotic explanations. :)