Palm Growth Rates

steve 9atx

13/07/08
All

I've got some seedlings in pots as well as one transplant that need to go in the ground this spring; so, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with:

1.) Becarriophoenix alfredii: so far this palm is tearing up the small pot I have it in (started as a small seedling from Floribunda last year). This seems to be a slight palm, trunk and crown-wise, at maturity. If so, I have a good spot on the east side hard up against the house and driveway for it. (B. madagascariensis windows is doing great under fern canopy on the south side of the house - I expect it to "break out" this year).

2.) Syagrus coronata: once again, lovin' the pot and my palm fert. I suspect this one is full sun ONLY. If so, I'll have to talk the Mrs into a prominent spot in the front yard. It would be a good palm to feature an interesting trunk, and as a contrast to everything else in my front yard which tends to be BLUE. Speed? I assume very slow, but give me your experience.

3.) Jubaea x Syagrus: this is a commando plant for me, otherwise I'd have to tear the house down to make room for it.

4.) The transplant is a foxy lady. I know these are fast, but how much so? The only place I have for her is very close to the driveway, so she'd have to go vertical in a hurry. I have two queens that went from 15 gal to 15-trunk-footer's in six years. Are they that fast? My yard is small, so I tend to cram things in and make up the diff with water, fert, and TLC.

Please advise.

Steve

Steve,

Give us some idea of the climate you live in. That would help.

What I can tell you at this point is my Foxy Lady grew way too fast where I put it. So i dug it up. But to dig things up here and keep a rootball intact is impossible --- Really rocky and loose. So an eight foot plant (that just started trunking) ended up with about a 5 gal size of completely bare roots.

But it made it, and you never really would have known I did such a hatchet job on it.

I'll give you some more feedback if you can give me an idea of your climate.

Steve, I'm going to take a shot that 9atx means Texas zone nine a. Its been a couple of months since you've posted this but if you come back and that is your climate I would suggest that the coronata be relegated to pet status (in a pot). I am on the border of zone 9b and zone 10. My coronata was affected by the low thirties as a baby. Now it is a young adult and has shrugged off the cold. It did not do well in (3) hurricanes either. I would say the Beccariophoenix might follow the same protocol as well as your foxy lady. Neither Vietchia nor Wodyetia do well in the colder parts of 9a. Sorry to sound negative. But as Dean said tell us where you are and we can give you a better heads up.