1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Overtrimmed

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by ScotTi, Aug 28, 2009.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here is a shot of what remains of my neighbors two Queen Palms after he did a little over trimming. When I got home from work I was shocked by what I saw. At first glance I thought they were replaced by Royals, as he had trimmed the old leaf bases off and it almost looked like a crownshaft on them. After one day the tops just broke off ( notice it laying on the ground by the palm on the right). He has hope that they will make a comeback.

Attached Files:

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Won't they just branch out from there??? :D

3. palmnerd

palmnerd Well-Known Member

That spindle palm in the photo looks like it has a great future as well. Lets hope the guy dosen't get into dog grooming.

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I am not going to knock him on the spindle as it was completely defoliated from the frosts/freeze of last winter. I think the S.roms may have a chance to make a comeback.

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I think they are going to make it. The palm on the left now shows green leaflets out of the top. The one on the right is forming a point now.

6. Dypsisdean

They may make it, but that has to be a sure way to slow down growth. :)

7. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

You want ugly? Here's an apartment complex that had their palms 'trimmed' here in St. Pete. I may be able to find some more in my file of horror shows.

Phil

Attached Files:

8. Dypsisdean

Reminds me of the barbers at boot camp.

9. Dave from So-Cal

Dave from So-Cal Well-Known Member

YIKE!

A bit overzealous, isn't he?

As long as the terminal bud isn't totally destroyed, they'll come back, like the crew arranging deck chairs on the Titanic . . . .