1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Orange in the Garden

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Jeff Searle, Aug 4, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet looking, huh? Rob and I recently put some air layers on this and they should be ready to remove in a couple more weeks.

It looks like a Baron le Compte, but these plants are exceptional in not only the size of leaf but for it's enormous amount of good orange coloring. So I'm not sure what it is, or just maybe a great form of Baron. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Jeff, it's Baron le Compte.

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

I'd vote for Baron le Compte also. maybe on steroids but it's agood looker. My large one lost most of the variegation this winter; new leaves are almost all green.

4. Jeff Searle

The reason I look forward to putting this in my yard is, the one I have now has very small undersize leaves, probably growing in the wrong area and basically has one or two tiny little blotches of orange. I would be embarrassed to show it to someone !! :)

5. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Jeff, that Baron le Compte is stunning. Will you have these for sale in Oct?

6. Jeff Searle

I should, as long as their rooted into the soil enough where their not moving all around. I will have my final list of varieties that I'm selling in the last week of september.

7. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Jeff - What's the date of the fall sale?

8. Jeff Searle

Ricky,

The Fall Sale starts on friday, October 1st and runs through sunday. 8:00-5pm and then 9-4 on sunday.

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Moose Land needs this cultivar. :cool: Hopefully it will be available at this fall's sale, Jeff? :confused:

10. Jeff Searle

Just when you think you did it all, every variety you could ever possibly put an air layer on over a span of 3 months, no, not one Baron le Compte was cut. I'm sorry to say. But I still might have one small one that never made it over to my yard, and actually from the garden where these above photos were taken from last year. Ron, consider it yours.
    Jeff