On A Chilly Morning ...

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Jan 8, 2015.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Drinking a warm cup of coffee walking around the garden as the sun was rising I took this photo. Its one of my unknowns - any help ?

What.JPG

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

General Mcarthur complex??

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

The term "General MacArthur Complex" seems to have worked its way into the Croton Crowd's vernacular. Since known or named crotons must be vegetatively reproduced, it is either a General MacArthur or it is not. It seems to me that many crotons we are not sure of get lumped into the MacArthur Complex.

Mike - by the way, this one came from you. Alas it will probably remain an unknown but it looks better then my confirmed General MacArthur. Its a great looking plant and I am thankful that you gave it to me. :cool:

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

I think that complex has been used for Genarel Mac and Columbiana because there are so many plants that look similar but are not exactly the same.On my Columbiana I could take 4 cuttings and give them each all a different name if I wanted :)

5. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Gen. Mac is one of those where no two leaves are the same. However, when I see a mature plant, I know what it is.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Mike - this one sometimes looks like Columbiana and other times does not (like now). Not looking its best after a spider mite infestation sucked the color and vigor from the plant.

Colum.JPG

7. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

20150130_081333.jpg Just happened to snap a few shots of my Columbiana this am 20150130_080916.jpg

kwtimo and Kingdavid like this.
  8. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Very nice, Mark! I'm not used to seeing so much pink on Columbiana. Mine does oranges instead. How large are those leaves? Almost looks like a Father's Day?

Kingdavid likes this.
  9. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

Hey Anna... seems I've been getting a lot a huge leaves, the Columbiana measures 15 inches from the end of the petiole. My Lt Paget, Excellent, Jungle Queen, Capt. Gilbert Cutler are really pumping out some huge leaves as well. 20150201_123645.jpg

Kingdavid likes this.