OK, Why?

palmisland

28/03/08
Here is the famous $400 croton, bought at auction by Jerry (Treezoo) at Tiki Rick's last year. OK, What does it take to be a "new" croton, worthy of a new name. If a croton is called unnamed, can you give it a name? So how does naming a new cultivar work. Oh yeah & why is this particular croton worth so much, or was it the heat of the auction moment.

Randy:p

Attachments

• DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_0082.jpg
    DSC_0082.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 117
Here is the famous $400 croton, bought at auction by Jerry (Treezoo) at Tiki Rick's last year. OK, What does it take to be a "new" croton, worthy of a new name. If a croton is called unnamed, can you give it a name? So how does naming a new cultivar work. Oh yeah & why is this particular croton worth so much, or was it the heat of the auction moment.

Randy:p

Ok...a new croton usually comes about from a seedling underneath larger plants, grows up and if it looks like something totally different, then it's new. A new croton can also be a "sport" that is found growing on a plant and has changed in looks, and then removed. Many seedlings I find, take about 2 years before their big enough to see if their worthy of keeping. A good majority of seedlings turn out to be lacking in good color or leaf size and if so, then thrown away.
But, if you do come up with an interesting plant, and seems to look like nothing else, then you have the right to name it.

The croton Jerry won in a bid, was at the time a seedling Rick found and grew it up into that 3 gallon size pot. Was it worth $400? That's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess. And yes, I think it was in the heat of the moment that drove the price up so high.

For every newly named croton variety there is a "stickiness" factor associated with it's new name. If the name doesn't stick, who cares? It is also especially helpful if it is a pretty variety, and also if you can distribute this new variety to people who are serious about growing and propogating crotons. As for the cost, sometimes an auction creates a situation where people escalate their commitment even when it is costly, and perhaps irrational, to do so. The "heat" of the auction is a good way to desribe it. After all we are only humans who love this pretty little plant.

that plant looks like stoplight grown in dark shade.

I've got some seedling volunteers popping up. I'm going to have to pot them up and see what they do. I'll sell them for half the price @ $200.... :p