1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Ok, here's an unknown one to ID

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by fawnridge, Aug 8, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain this was from a cutting from David McLean, three years ago. He wasn't sure of the name at the time and no one who's seen it in person can ID it either. Notice the sport in the middle picture - that's a common one on Van Buren.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Ricky, yes by all means I'll take a cutting, thanks. In the words of Paris Hilton,"That's Hot."

3. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Okay. I found a limb that needed trimming, so there's one in the mistbed now.

4. Jim Glock

Jim Glock Active Member

Judy and I also got this from Dave and he called this "Thea" named after one of his customers. It has to have a "real" name.

5. Crazy for Crotons

Jim, you've got to love Dave McLean. When I first started growing crotons, he sold me a plant named "Spotted Dog." Someone later identified as Thomas Edison.

6. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Spotted Dog?? Never heard that name come up from Dave, and Thomas Edison is a pretty hard one to confuse.

I also got the name "Thea" from Dave on this plant, and on the same day I got a cutting that he gave me called "King's Ramsom". Did anyone else get that plant with that name. The only thing is, that mis-identified plant he was calling King's Ransom turned out to be a super rare croton at the time which was about 4 or 5 years ago. And that croton is Magnificent. And we all know the end of the story on this variety.......

Oh, and yes, you got to love Dave.....

Jeff

7. Crazy for Crotons

I think the Spotted Dog name was a joke but he never did call it Edison. He could have at least called it Dalmation.